Lens suggestions to match ordinary FRAMES from today's hollywood movies? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Lanczos View Post
i could go with the 35/f2, 50/1.4 and the 85/1.8, but that's it. that would be around 1k.
I own all of these lenses, as well as the 28/1.8. The 28/1.8 is definitely superior to the 35/2. I don't find it to be too wide in the least. For our recent 48 Hour Film, we used the 28mm quite a bit in the theater shots. The crane shot outside the theater was also done with the 28. (Ignore the bounce. We had planned to take that out in post and ran out of time.)

Dream Job on Vimeo

The 35/2 has the same build quality as the 50/1.8, including the five blade iris. The 28/1.8 has the same build quality as the 85/1.8.
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #17
Major Player

Most of the Contax lenses (not the Contax N) can be fitted to Canon with an adapter. These were made by Zeiss and have a better build quality than even the Canon L.

The Canon 50 1.8 has a weird oblong bokeh. A Contax 50mm is more expensive at $100 -$150, but is still less than the Canon 1.4.

There are a variety of 24-85ish Contax zooms that are good and around $400.

The only great DSLR superwide zoom is the Nikon 14-24 2.8. This requires a specialized adapter. Total cost about two grand. I have this lens and it's great. But I also have the Sigma 15-30 in Canon mount. Used about $100-200. I don't like Canon wides, and use Nikon and Contax on the 5DII. (But I would like to have one of the big wide Canon L primes for night shooting)

All 85mm lenses are sharp. Buy any that are fast enough and can be Canon mounted. You can find the Canon 85 1.8 used.

70-200mm zooms are also usually sharp in all brands. Sigma has made a good APO 2.8 version for a number of years. I've owned them all. Currently I have the Canon 70-200 f4 IS. (I also still have the non-IS version which is also very sharp.)

With a total budget of $800, I suggest all used lenses. For non-Canon lenses, aperature is set by a ring on the lens, and focus is manual. For video doing these functions manually is not inconvenient. I suggest deciding on a) General zoom and one fast prime, or b) Three fast primes.

KEH or fredmiranda.com buy and sell forum are the two best places I know for used lenses.
Don Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD