OS Snow Leopard and raw Mark II clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 28th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

OS Snow Leopard and raw Mark II clips

Great news for everyone that edits on a mac. With the new mac os, we can now play and edit raw mark II clips in fcp in a h.264 sequence. The new overhaul of Quicktime makes this possible. I was even able to play a raw clip right from my card in Qucktime, with no jerkiness or other problems. I think this is huge progress.

Jerry
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

aah, great news.... can't wait to load her up and give it a whirl...
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

wow. that'll be big news if I can cut footage on my MBP and preview it smoothly. I know some people say their systems can handle it but not my 1yr old laptop.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Just wondering... are we sure the improvement comes from Snow Leopard, rather than Final Cut Studio 3?
What version of Final Cut were you using before and after the Snow Leopard upgrade?
I'm not doubting it, just want to be sure that the origin of the improvement is Snow Leopard...
Cheers,
Ben
Ben Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Curtis View Post
Just wondering... are we sure the improvement comes from Snow Leopard, rather than Final Cut Studio 3?
What version of Final Cut were you using before and after the Snow Leopard upgrade?
I'm not doubting it, just want to be sure that the origin of the improvement is Snow Leopard...
Cheers,
Ben
I believe this is directly a result of the quicktime overhaul. Just my opinion.

Jerry
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Trustee

the colour space issue is still unresolved even if direct editing can be done? Am I right?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Great

I thought the color space thing was resolved a while back with a previous QT update.

This is great news. I have the box with the new FCP here just need to find time to install.

Has anyone created a AVCHD disk and successfully played it on a BR player? If so how many min can you fit onto a reg DVD?
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Bruce,
Does this mean the sequence have RT playback options as well? In other words, am I still going to have to render each time a put a simple effect or transition?
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Major Player

I edit on a mac, and I noticed this the other day. When playing a raw clip, the footage is way over saturated and is very red in QT. However, when I just previewed the clip, pressing the space bar, the footage was a much cooler temp. I just bought snow leppy so hopefully that solves it....
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee View Post
Bruce,
Does this mean the sequence have RT playback options as well? In other words, am I still going to have to render each time a put a simple effect or transition?
I will do some playing around with some raw footage today and let you know, but I suspect it will require rendering for most things, just as the Z7 footage does. How long it takes though might be another issue.

Jerry
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland View Post
Great news for everyone that edits on a mac. With the new mac os, we can now play and edit raw mark II clips in fcp in a h.264 sequence. The new overhaul of Quicktime makes this possible. I was even able to play a raw clip right from my card in Qucktime, with no jerkiness or other problems. I think this is huge progress.

Jerry
So I may have been too excited about the aspect about editing native mark II files. Just playing with a couple clips this morning in fcp. Put a clip at 60% speed, hit render and first got a codec not found message. Tried again and got the out of memory pop up. One more time and fcp crashed after spinning beach ball of death.

Jerry
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Inner Circle

You have always been able to edit native 5DII H.264 .MOV files in FCP even with FCS2 on Leopard. The first video tutorials on Tutorials - Online Training - lynda.com even showed you this as the way to do it. The problem is that it doesn't do it very well as H.264 is an output CODEC & simply not designed for editing. You wind up with glitches & odd things happening & having to render all the time. Its like editing a Postscript or PDF document while it's possible but not really desirable.

It is far easier to convert to ProRes before you start editing.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
You have always been able to edit native 5DII H.264 .MOV files in FCP even with FCS2 on Leopard. The first video tutorials on Tutorials - Online Training - lynda.com even showed you this as the way to do it. The problem is that it doesn't do it very well as H.264 is an output CODEC & simply not designed for editing. You wind up with glitches & odd things happening & having to render all the time. Its like editing a Postscript or PDF document while it's possible but not really desirable.

I was never even able to play the clip in the timeline before and now I can, but you make a great point and I guess I will have to go back to converting using streamclip.
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post

and proress makes sure your picture won't break down any further. It won't add color information that isn't there, but you will have a "RAW" image from that point on. Just do a test... apply the same grade to a h.264 and a proress, the proress will be much sharper and hold together where the straight h.264 will be soft and muddy in some areas.
Bryce Olejniczak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD