optimal settings for Jucedlink 231 & 5D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 31st, 2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

optimal settings for Jucedlink 231 & 5D

Could some one please list the optimum setup for the JL 231 and 5D.
Both the JL settings (mic or line, gain, trim) and the audio settings for Magic Lantern firmware.

Thanks
Michael Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Personally, I like to keep the JL on the HIGH setting at 100% gain for normal dialog. I set the DGain (digital gain) in the camera at 0dB, since you can get digital gain later in post. This ensures that all 16 bits are used. I set the MGain (mic gain, or analog gain) to +10dB or +17dB in the camera without any noise penalty to speak of. This is with an AT815b shotgun, which has a relatively weak signal. If running an AT4073, which is 10dB hotter, set the MGain at +0dB or +6dB.

If the talent will speak loudly, turn the JL down to one or two o'clock. If the talent is going to scream at the top of their lungs, turn it down more, based on the levels you see on the Magic Lantern display, and what you hear through your headphones.

This is all based on an AT815b about 18-inches from the talent's mouth in a quiet setting. More distance will typically require more gain.
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank You. Is the Juicedlink set to line or mic?

I am using a Rode NTG 2, I do have a AT 4073a but I use it on my EX-1.
Michael Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Set the JL to mic when feeding it with a mic. If you use a field mixer between the mic and JL, set it to Line.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
If the talent is going to scream at the top of their lungs, turn it down more, based on the levels you see on the Magic Lantern display, and what you hear through your headphones.
Are you able to get headphones audio with the juicedlink?
Dana Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

With Magic Lantern, you can get headphone out of the AV port. You will likely need a Boostaroo type headphone amp to get a satisfactory level.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Can you control your audio effectively using a JuicedLink only? Or is it impossible without Magic Lantern?

~ Charles
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
With Magic Lantern, you can get headphone out of the AV port. You will likely need a Boostaroo type headphone amp to get a satisfactory level.
Which Boostaroo model do you recommend?

~ Charles
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baisden View Post
Can you control your audio effectively using a JuicedLink only? Or is it impossible without Magic Lantern?
Soon it will be possible to get clean audio using a JuicedLink only without the need for ML:
juicedLink: New Product Preview: DN101 DSLR Audio Solution
Martin Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baisden View Post
Which Boostaroo model do you recommend?

~ Charles
I use the one with three output channels. One feeds the headphones for the AC who sets the gain. The other feeds a signal to the boom operator. There's a 3rd output for the camera op or director, if desired.

The cool thing is that the signal (from the 5D with Magic Lantern) is tapped off the digital bits that are actually being recorded.

One nice thing with multiple people listening to headphones is that at least one of you will notice the wind noise, the dog barking, or the car in the distance. It slows things down as you wait for quiet, but can improve quality.
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Koch View Post
Soon it will be possible to get clean audio using a JuicedLink only without the need for ML:
juicedLink: New Product Preview: DN101 DSLR Audio Solution
Martin - this is fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing this. It appears that this will accomplish SOME of what ML can do (without the firmware risks).

One question on this product - here is quote from the website:
"The output of the preamp plugs into the input of the DN101. The output of the DN101 plugs into the mic input of the camera. The DN101 also has a headphone jack."

I could not determine that the headphone jack had any level controls of any kind. Is this your take as well? I think the main concerns about audio monitoring remain with this device: you would not be able to monitor what is actually being recorded.

~ Charles
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I use the one with three output channels. One feeds the headphones for the AC who sets the gain. The other feeds a signal to the boom operator. There's a 3rd output for the camera op or director, if desired.
Thanks Jon! I decided to go with this one:
Give Our Portable Headphone Amplifiers a Listen for 90-Days

It looks like it splits the signal & allows for a stronger overall output.

~ Charles
Old December 18th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #13
Inner Circle

That will do the trick!
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #14
Major Player

Jon, Do you have any intention of testing the DN101?
Your other audio tests were so comprehensive, I would trust only you to give an impartial, unbiased review of this product, as it compares to ML, etc.

Personally, I'd miss being able to hear what the camera receives, but the DN101 looks potentially good...
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #15
Inner Circle

If I can get my hands on the DN101, I'd love to put it head to head with the Beachtek.

In theory, it should do better than the Beachtek, because it has clean gain. It will also not leave a tell-tale tone in the active channel.

On the other hand, even with ALC defeated, the default analog gain in the 5D (and presumably the 7D) is +31 dB. I usually run it at +10 or +17dB. So it could have 14dB to 21dB more noise than when using it with Magic Lantern.

But for people who want audio in the camera and don't want Magic Lantern, it will likely be the best solution out there.

So, that's the theory. If I can get my hands on one, I'll share how it works in practice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD