Canon files with QT8 / Snow Leopard at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon files with QT8 / Snow Leopard

I noticed yesterday that the same Raw movie file from the 5DMK2 shows a different gamma than when opened in QT7.

I have the optional QT7 installed and opening the file side by sides shows the difference, crushed blacks and burnt highlights.

Once exported the colour data is lost. QT10 only saves in H.264, so if using the share function your file will have this problem. Don't upload to youtube using QT10.

(QT7 - Enable Final Cut Studio color compatibility, checked) no option in QT10.

Not a problem if you stay away from QT10. But the preview of Raw 5DMK2 files in FCP also shows the same issues.

However Prores files are unaffected on output and this is the workflow I use.

Granted Raw files playback better in FCP but they are not as snappy as editing with Prores also adding grading to the native files bogs things down and a cleaner result is achieved with Prores.

Update: Prores files within FCP show the same gamma / clipping issue. The file is ok when output and at the correct colour space, its just the preview, it show the same issues as the H.264 files.

Not that helpful when grading in FCP. However Apple Color previews Prores at the correct levels.

P.S. Its Quicktime 10 not 8, sorry.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Seems to have something to do with snow leopard now conforming to gamma 2.2 standard instead of the old Mac 1.8.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't think it's just the gamma change, bring a raw clip into FCP and open the scopes and you'll see the blacks and whites are clipped (at least for me, in FCP 6). MPEGStreamclip still appears to read the full levels so I'm just sticking to using it to convert to ProRes for now.

Despite this issue the ability to play back raw clips full screen absolutely smoothly on my 17" MBP is worth the minor cost of the upgrade; even with the clipping it's much better than before when I'm showing clips I just shot to a client.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD