Experience with "cage" type supports for 5D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM   #1
New Boot

Experience with "cage" type supports for 5D?

I do documentary and documentary-style corporate work and need a very small, lightweight system for holding the 5D with some accessories (at most: mic, LED light, monitor, digital audio recorder). Most of the time, it will be on a tripod, but it also needs to be able to quickly go handheld or on a monopod if necessary.

Does anyone have any experience with "cage" type supports? I'm referring specifically to stuff like the U-Boat Commander from IDC or the indiSQUARE from indiSYSTEM. Is there another similiar system? I considered the Fig Rig for a while but it seems so awkward.

-Richard
Richard Van Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I've had my hands on Bruce Dorn's U-boat Commander and I liked it a lot.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Great Product UBC

I also have the U Boat Commander. I love its versatility. It can be configured as:
1. Hand held cage like the Captain Steubing (Red Rock)
2. Gunstock cage configuartion
3. On the shoulder cage configuration
4. Table top cage with 3 legs for product shots etc
On mine I have a quick release to allow the camera to be removed and placed on a Glidecam
AND a quick release to allow me to place any of the above configs on a tripod.
And they are nicely designed and manufactured.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks, guys. I'm going to do some more research, but the U-Boat Commander II looks like it will fit my needs.
Richard Van Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Tourist

Hey Richard,

No pics just yet but I have built up a "cage" set up for my 5D.
The base is a Cinevate Titan mattebox with 19mm rials top and bottom...throw in some RED side handles and it is looking to work great. I will have photos plus a review of the mattebox soon..
Ryan Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Major Player

another vote for UBC

I find myself using the U boat commander quite often, but not exclusively. It is a good cage for mounting the camera with various clamps or mounts, such as on the hood of a car. The solid aluminum construction has many pre drilled mount points and can be easily drilled and tapped for customizing.
The handle configuration is good for general shooting, and with a table top tripod or a monopod it works great.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Denis, what other rigs do you use and for what applications?
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #8
Major Player

A couple different configurations

Hi Tom, your question was an excuse to set up for some gear shots (getting ready for an ebay sale of some stuff -anyone need a Sigma 120-300 2.8 or an HMI light? - lets make a deal!).
I had an old Vocas matte box and rails - a quick release and a cheeseplate with a bracket works pretty well on the stix or handheld - but I prefer it on the tripod.
For run and gun handheld (which I really don't often do with the Canon) I have a set of rails and a shoulder plate/handle. The same cheeseplate lets me mount it quickly on the tripod (I've had to get a few extra wedgeplates, and the damn screws keep running oof, seems I'm always short one or the other - 1/4 -20 or 3/8.
The Uboat Commander from IBC is my preferred way to go if I'm just heading out and want the capability to shoot should something interesting come up. I got a commando kind of camera strap that keeps the Canon secure and lets me put it to my eye quickly when I want it.
Mounting the camera with the UBC is a breeze, holes all over it, threaded and not ( and I have no fear of making my own where I want them).
My Leica table top tripod, a "best buy" 30 years ago works phenomenally well with this. Rest it on a flat surface, jam it against a wall or twist it up against your body ( and watch you breathing) = rock steady video.
Same with the monopod - no need for a ball joint adapter, just lean where you want to be.
The latest "tool" that I haven't have a lot of time to use, but I know will be a lifesaver someday is the "monsterpod". It has a sticky base (with a cover) that will attach to pretty much any surface - nice and smooth like a kitchen counter, or rough like a chain link fence. I won't leave the camera hanging from the ceiling without a safety strap, but this thing will hold it up there - mounted from the top holes on the UBC.
I hope this is of use to you -
Attached Thumbnails
Experience with "cage" type supports for 5D?-dsc_1481.jpg   Experience with "cage" type supports for 5D?-dsc_1487.jpg  

Experience with "cage" type supports for 5D?-dsc_1502.jpg   Experience with "cage" type supports for 5D?-dsc_1509.jpg  

Attached Images

Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Very cool, Denis. Its illuminating to see all the different configurations that you can utilize.
Thanks for the pix.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD