5D footage on Final Cut Pro 5.1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 11th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Major Player

5D footage on Final Cut Pro 5.1

So, I'm on a dual G5 2.0 GHz powermac and I am wondering what my options are as far as editing goes. I have no pro-res, so I could only find an H.264 option under compressor that said it was for DVD Studio Pro 60 min.

So now I have these clips compressed now, and I can play them on my computer fine. Is there a timeline setting that will work with them? I could only find one option for 1080 and it was 1080i.

I'll probably be picking up a new intel mac with FCS3 in a bit, but I'm just wondering if there is a way to work with this footage as it is now?
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Major Player

You don't want to convert to h.264 - that's what you get straight out of the camera, and it's rough to work with even on a much faster machine than yours. I'd recommend trying either XDCAM or DVCProHD, both should be fine to edit on a G5. You'll get smaller file sizes with XDCAM but may give up some quality in high motion sequences compared to DVCProHD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD