Upping the Anti at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 18th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Upping the Anti

Testing of an internal polarizing Anti Aliasing filter.

Have been testing this afternoon, marked improvement over things like tiled roofs etc.

Will post more details when I have them, ran out of light today. Also shot a circular zone test card for comparison, will conclude under more controlled conditions.

Up The Anti - Testing of the AR Filter on Vimeo

Of course there is always a trade off, induces slight blooming (not the Philip kind), lightens contrast, loss of light.

I do like the warm softness the shots have about them.

James
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow, I thought that looked fantastic! I'm a little confused about what this is though — is this a lens filter or a software filter?

Thanks for sharing!
Sean Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I agree. It looks really smooth and creamy. It's a nice combo - less aliasing and a very nice look.
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Major Player

James,

Looks very interesting. Can you give us more details on this? I've been using a Schneider Digicon filter to try do the same sort of thing MPTV 4"x4" Digicon - Schneider Optics

Dan

(edit - interesting read on aliasing filters here http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...howtopic=30758)

Last edited by Dan Chung; September 18th, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know, to me it brings back the look I associate with lens adapters, which isn't a good thing...
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Ok it's early here, so after I have made the wife a cup of tea i'll get on with testing.

Basically it's something I've been working on. An inexpensive set of polymer polarizing behind the lens filters. (Cost around UK £30)

Polarizing to: 1/ polarize if needed. 2/ fixed variable ND sandwich 3/ tinted color soft look.

Wet etched (still trying to perfect this) helps reduce the aliasing artifacts. Automated now, have ability for different strengths.

The filters are fiber paper edge bound that install on the camera body between it and the lens. Hence the need for a polymer based solution.

Prototypes hopefully within the next 4 weeks. I'll PM the 5D regular crew for their address if they would like a test a set.

James
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

So I downloaded the film, and I did a little bit level adjustment because it seemed gain was a bit high, and I think it looks pretty good. Would love to hear more about this process.
Old September 19th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #8
Major Player

It would be useful to have a with and without.
A lot of it looks like what comes out of my 5Dmk2 in the garden, but with a different colour setting and softer-looking.
I tend to get aliasing with edges eg shopfront shutters under streetlights. Not in shots like this.
Still, if Dan Chung is excited about it I have obviously missed something!
Old September 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Interesting. Can you make a video that really puts your solution to the test?

I find the most offensive aliasing occurs when filming any objects with lines (i.e. brick walls, house siding, automobile grills, etc.) with moving pans (vertical pan for horizontal lines and vice versa). This particular film has all the high frequency content stationary. I can get similar results with no modifications if I de-focus a bit.

Long wide pans of architectural scenes (with a high f-stops for large depth of field) always kill me.

This is very exciting if you have a good solution here.
Rick Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The other classic aliasing shot has been a body of water in the wind. The little whitecaps alias consistently with annoying color artifacts.
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #11
Major Player

Here is a dirty little test leaning out my front door.

MobileMe - iDisk

There is only one folder "DVinfo Test"

Click the little grey down arrow at the end to download. I'll put this rubbish shot on Vimeo, but you get the idea.

2 x .mov h264 files (with / without) and custom picture profile used. Half resolution
Old September 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks James
That's very impressive.
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
Ok it's early here, so after I have made the wife a cup of tea i'll get on with testing.

Basically it's something I've been working on. An inexpensive set of polymer polarizing behind the lens filters. (Cost around UK £30)

Polarizing to: 1/ polarize if needed. 2/ fixed variable ND sandwich 3/ tinted color soft look.

Wet etched (still trying to perfect this) helps reduce the aliasing artifacts. Automated now, have ability for different strengths.

The filters are fiber paper edge bound that install on the camera body between it and the lens. Hence the need for a polymer based solution.

Prototypes hopefully within the next 4 weeks. I'll PM the 5D regular crew for their address if they would like a test a set.

James
Can be used on 7D as well? If so, hook it up please :). I'll pay for shipping to test out.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Major Player

Ok, Here are a couple of grabs taken from handheld, using the 50mm 1:4 @ f4.

I have found different lens need different strengths of filter.

One is without filter one with, both with identical camera settings.

I would normally run this through compressor with a +15 Sharpness, but this is the raw file opened in Quick Time and saved as a pict.

It's soft but workable.
Attached Thumbnails
Upping the Anti-no-filter-ff.jpg   Upping the Anti-internal-filter-ff.jpg  

Old September 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #15
Inner Circle

That's a bit too soft for my tastes. It could be just right on a wider angle lens though. From my experience, filters have very different looks on different lenses.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD