Need an eyepiece like the EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need an eyepiece like the EX3

Hello,

Played around with a 5D today for the first time and found the most frustrating thing for me to be the lack of a fully articulating eyepiece with peaking for these old eyes. Thinking about my EX3 with it's amazing viewfinder and wondering if some of these enterprising product developers out there might be able to take Sony's technology and apply it to the 5D.

I read in the EX1 forum that someone did a hack with an old M3 eyepiece to create something similar for their EX1.

Wonder if Sony makes those LCD's that go into those cameras.

Anyway, food for thought I suppose.

Warren Gentry
Warren Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I too would love to find something like this out there. The only solution for peaking I have found so far is a $1000 Marshall Electronics LCD screen, but I'd much rather be able to look at the scene through the controlled view of an eyepiece.
Sean Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Trustee

try the zacuto z finder 2
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'll second the vote for the Z-Finder 2. I wouldn't be able to shoot very well without mine.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Third on Zacuto.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Major Player

me four

Jim Martin
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Sponsor: Westside AV

I agree that a rotating hi-def viewfinder would be a great asset.

As good as Zakuto and other clip on solutions are, they don't solve the ergonomic problems of the 5DmkII.

I have thought about making one myself, but the parts alone cost about as much as a 5D.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
As good as Zakuto and other clip on solutions are, they don't solve the ergonomic problems of the 5DmkII. I have thought about making one myself, but the parts alone cost about as much as a 5D.
Also I got the Zakuto Z-finder, and I must say it's a must-have-piece -- I can't understand how to do without. I also made my own carbon fiber rails and shoulder rest, not only to save money, but ergonomically I wasn't really happy with the RedRock, et al.. Here's a silly video showing the rig as a run & gun setup: YouTube - Jessica playing with my new Camera Rig...

-- peer
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Major Player

You may want Magic Lantern for peaking.

I use an external monitor, but I mostly shoot on a tripod. The DSLR form factor is temporary, so I doubt anyone is going to do an extensive electronic finder for the 5D/7D.
Don Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD