Canon announces free 24p / 25p update for EOS 5D Mk. II - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old February 7th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #181
Regular Crew

Don't Believe It !!!

Sorry folks, but I simply don't believe this supposed "firmware update" rumored amongst this forum is going to come to fruition. Just because a bunch of tech geeks at some convention told you they "think" this will be out by middle of '10, or you received some email post from a UK contact; this simply doesn't verify any truth.

The same comments are being replied from by Canon..... "we don't know of any firmware update for the 5D Mk II." 5 millionth verse, same as the first !!!!!

Any supposed rumor, (and I sure hope/wish I were wrong on this) I'm starting to believe, was a 'scam' to get more people to buy their 5D Mk IIs during the Christmas rush, or to buy the lot of them up, before perhaps we see the 5D Mk IIs or 5D Mk III come out !!!!!

In other words folks, I think we're stuck with what we've got. I've given up hoping for this stupid update and am really disappointed that no one from Canon will speak out. Simple solution here Canon; just tell the truth. Are we getting a firmware update that will allow the same frame rates as the 7D, or do we live with what we have?

My personal belief, at least 'til this point, is that there's a reason we haven't heard 'jack squat' from Canon........ it can't be done or they choose not to do it. If before the year end in '09, someone from Canon said they're working on this, there would have been more publicity around this. Instead, Canon remains SILENT. You guys are just dreaming up $hit and listening to tech geeks' rumors. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if this were really true and the frame rates were going to be possible on the 5D Mk II, Canon would have been all over this with advertising !!! How many more sales could they have made by now if they would have come out with that statement as an OFFICIAL "yes it will happen" statement ??? Instead, it's only been RUMORED and there is no official commitment from Canon to hold them to !!!!!!!!!!

Sucks, but learn to live with what we have I guess. (sigh)
Color me the most negative on this subject, but right now, I am upset with Canon for playing along its customers like this!
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #182
Regular Crew

How much more official do you want than an announcement on the Canon website. We are still in the first half of 2010. Nothing has happened to contradict the following announcement that was posted at the beginning of this thread.

Canon UK - Canon EOS 5D Mark II: Statement on Firmware Development
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #183
Major Player

Man Billy, don't take it out on the dog what ever you do. It's not that bad. It's going to happen, at least 24p. Like watching water boil, it won't happen any faster by yelling about it.

Plus you're simply positioning yourself as the guy that called everyone dumb before the upgrade came. Aside from all the other stuff, Chris H is probably the strictest shepherd on the internet - let's say not prone to flights of fancy on his site.

Just reference his last comment on this and have a drink and enjoy stuff <g>.
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #184
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Griffin View Post
Sorry folks, but I simply don't believe this supposed "firmware update" rumored amongst this forum is going to come to fruition. Just because a bunch of tech geeks at some convention told you they "think" this will be out by middle of '10, or you received some email post from a UK contact; this simply doesn't verify any truth.
It's not a rumour. It's an official Canon press release on 20th October 2009 (attached). Here are two key statements from the press release:

Quote:
Canon today announces that it is currently developing a firmware update to the EOS 5D Mark II to enable the recording of high definition 1080p video at 24 and 25fps.
Quote:
Canon currently expects the firmware update to be made available during the first half of 2010.
I suppose that it does say that they are 'developing a firmware update' & 'expects the firmware update to be made available' which doesn't 100% guarantee delivery but it's difficult to see how much more official the commitment to deliver updated firmware could be.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5D_Mark_II_Firmware_Media_Alert_tcm14-688431.pdf (102.9 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by Nigel Barker; February 7th, 2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:00 AM   #185
Major Player

I must say, I've always been skeptical about Canon pulling this one off. Making the announcement 10 days before Red were due to make their Oct 30th announcement, which many believed would herald the release of Scarlet, just struck me as expedient and more than a little cheeky.
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #186
Regular Crew

I apologize if I come off as pointing the blame at anyone on here. Not how I feel.
However, I do feel that Canon is FOS (full of it!) in regard to the supposed update.
Just my opinion. I hope I am very wrong, but for now; it's just my opinion.

I do not like how Canon has let this one roll on and on and on without comment. A simple "release" that they're attempting to develop something, does not mean it's coming FOR SURE. And with me, it's all about it also being available in the US. And with that said, there's been NOTHING said on any firmware update here in the States, that I know of.

Too many ironies here for me not to be suspicious......

1. announcement is made in mid/late October. Nothing more is heard since.
2. announcement is made close to RED info coming out.
3. Canon announces price DROP on 5D Mk II
Hmmm......... could they be developing a 5D Mk III already, with "new and improved" selectable frame rates as is the case on the 1D Mk IV and 7D ?????

In this economy, an organization would do anything to keep profits going. It's ever so convenient that this release is NOT an official "guarantee," and it'd be easy to come out this Spring and say "here's the new 5D Mk III with all the features our video customers have requested." It would be easy for them to say, "gee, golly, we tried, but the camera just isn't capable of supporting multiple option frame rates. Sorry suckas............ and btw, thanks for going out and buying up all the 5d Mk IIs while there were a surplus of them.

Again, I'm not trying to sound like I'm attacking anyone on here. I wouldn't do that.
What I am mad about it Canon's "silence" on this... simply tell us if it's true or not, and not through some UK web release that's really not "that" official. In other words, have you heard "new firmware coming?" NO! What you have read is that it is "in development and testing," and that was announced in October of last yr. 5 months have almost passed since that release. If they were making good progress, one would think someone would know about it, as corresponding sales would explode! They don't want to do that because of liability, IMO. Let everyone "gossip" about the release they posted on a UK site back in October, and by the time the customers are through the gossip / rumor mill, they'll have everyone believing this thing is going to have every bell and whistle known to man. - is perhaps what they figured would happen, and it's funny how you follow this forum and it went from an announcement of 24p 'under development,' to...

we're getting selectable frame rates
we're getting frame rates that match the 7D
we're getting other issues fixed
Canon will pay off my mortgage (LOL)

Okay, so I was attempting to be funny on the last one....... point being, the 'rumors' IMO, have even grown or been expanded on upon this forum, and perhaps that's exactly what Canon execs were hoping by TEASING us with this release of info (not a guarantee) on a UK-based site.

Call me skeptical; I've been called worse. I don't believe it 'til I see it, and I'm just very angry and disappointed with Canon right now, as I feel they've let this issue go on way longer than they should. Say SOMETHING for goodness sakes !?!?!?!?!?
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #187
Trustee

I agree with Billy. It's pretty suspicious that they haven't released the firmware update yet. After all, it's the FIRST HALF OF 2010 right now, and that's when they said they'd release it.

Most companies exceed those release dates by several months, just like we're expecting Canon to right now. Scarlet is a good example. Those cameras started hitting the street months (maybe years) before they were promised.

Remember when Sony released the first XDCamHD cameras, and they said the U1 disk drive would be out "by NAB"? We didn't wait long for that drive at all! It's not like the sales rep strung us out for TWO YEARS saying "any day". They really exceeded expectations there!

Even as video producers, when you say to a client "you'll have it by June", you're usually churning out a final version around January, yes?

/sarcasm

All I'm saying is that Canon promised this firmware upgrade in the first half of 2010, let's at least let it get to July before we crucify them as "liars". Honestly, at this point in my life, I'd be thrilled if they MET expectations by releasing a version before June 30.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #188
Wrangler

Well, Billy, in the vein of "never say never" it COULD somehow happen that Canon won't release a 24//25p firmware update for the 5DmII by 01 July, 2010. We really don't go much for rumors at DVinfo either, but beyond the initial posts containing info about the press release, the discussion in this thread as been not so much rumors as speculation.

We don't really encourage that, either, but it is almost inevitable with a topic like this and the mods let a certain amount of it slide. Please don't misconstrue those peoples' idle speculations (and some impatient ranting) here as "rumors."

The collection of conspiratorial "evidence" doesn't hold much water. FWIW:

- It is typical for many, if not most, companies to say nothing outside of planned public announcements. I wouldn't expect to hear anything more until an email shows up in my Inbox saying the firmware is ready for download. Nothing odd about that at all.

- Just my opinion, but I don't think Canon is concerned about RED cutting into its camera sales.

- Price drops can happen for any number of reasons, and if you look back you'll see similar price changes over time with many other cameras, even in the absence of an imminent new version.

- Developing a 5DmIII? OF COURSE! Development NEVER stops; companies ALWAYS have teams working on the next project.

MY opinion is that because Canon released this camera with NO promise or mention or rumor or speculation that it would add features later by firmware, and because the timeframe for the 24/25p firmware update has not passed -- not even close -- anyone griping, or angry, or disappointed at this time about the 5DmII not yet having 24/25p is simply off base.

I want the update like everyone else and also hope for 60p (not promised by Canon). Those capabilities will be a wonderful bonus.

How about this: if a 24p/25p firmware update is released before July 1st, everyone who posts a "Canon is FOS" post buys 10 other posters a steak dinner?
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #189
Regular Crew

I don't know guys but from my point of view nobody should be pissed at Canon for anything. 5D is primarily was designed as a still camera, video option was an added bonus. At least this is how I look at it. I did not see any professional yet who was using 5DMKII as their main tool. It's interesting to see a poll of how many people (at least on this forum) bought this camera only to do video.
As for MKIII I am sure it's in the works, but at took about 3 years between I and II and I don't expect any major changes (timewise) between II and III as well.
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #190
Trustee

How do you determine what a camera is "primarily designed" for, and what is "bonus"? IMO, If they put a "video" button on a camera, it's a videocamera. If they put a still shutter button on it, it's a still camera. This camera has both, it's a hybrid.

My car is a passenger car, but it has a trunk so I can get things from place to place. I don't think of it as a pickup truck, but when I need to buy a 2x4, I put it in the car just the same.
Old February 7th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #191
Major Player

I was with you until the "car trunk/2x4" analogy.
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #192
Regular Crew

I have Canon XL1 and there is a button to take still pictures so it must be a still camera after all. Thanks for explaining it to me after so many years. LOL. Mike, relax, you are too tense.
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #193
Trustee

The car analogy was weak, I knew it when I posted it. D'oh!
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #194
Regular Crew

Don't worry about it. But look at it from my point of view. Many video cameras (professional or not) have an option of taking still pictures but you do not go out and buy for example an XL1 to take still pictures with it. It's an added feature and its got a lot of limitations. Same applies here. I don't see why would Canon create something to kill its video cameras market. So 5DII does have its limitations, and I am sure 5DIII will also be very limited in its video abilites. Not the same as full video cameras, anyway. But I guess I can udnerstand people who bought it solely to take videos. I'd probably be pissed too.
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #195
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Griffin View Post
the 'rumors' IMO, have even grown or been expanded on upon this forum
I think you must have us confused with some other forum site, because we have always had a pretty firm policy *against* posting rumors here. In fact, we're well known for that, so I'm taking pretty serious issue with your insinuation that the discussion of an official press release issued directly from Canon somehow constitutes a "rumor."

The Canon UK press release is real, it's official, the firmware will be released prior to 30 June.

Can we dispense with all of this nonsense please. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD