Lens Combo for 5D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:09 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Daniel,

I own all the inexpensive lenses that you mention. Here's a quick rundown...

The 85/1.8 is excellent for the price.

The 28/1.8 is like the 85/1.8's twin in terms of build and features. They're of the same generation. Sure, it's not as sharp as other alternatives, but for video I think it's a great match for the 85/1.8.

The 50/1.4 is a bit older USM design, lacks some electronic focus reporting features and has a looser focus ring. My main complaint with this lens is the barrel distortion.

The 35/2.0 is a non-USM design with a thin, crummy focus ring. It's most similar to the 50/1.8. I've gotten some decent video with it, but I haven't used it in a long time. I don't like its feel, so I avoid it. It's the smallest of the lenses above with a 52mm filter ring, so it might be a good choice if you really want a small and light lens. I need to get around to selling mine...
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:55 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I would buy the 70-200 f2.8 IS as a second if you can afford it. Very versatile and fantastic for portraits and intimate work.
I'll second Olof on the 70-200 L f2.8 IS -- it's indeed a very versatile lens. I also have a 17-35 L f2.8 and some overlapping Nikkor primes. However, nowadays I rarely use the primes anymore since I feel pretty much covered by those two Canon L zooms (even if there's a missing gap between 35mm and 70mm).

-- peer
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:32 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The 35/2.0 is a non-USM design with a thin, crummy focus ring. It's most similar to the 50/1.8. I've gotten some decent video with it, but I haven't used it in a long time. I don't like its feel, so I avoid it. It's the smallest of the lenses above with a 52mm filter ring, so it might be a good choice if you really want a small and light lens. I need to get around to selling mine...
Hey Jon, in all seriousness, I'll buy the 35/2.0 off you for a fair price. I'm in the market for one as a small walk around prime for street stills -- and I am aware of its shortfalls. I'm about to buy one new, in the next few days maybe, so if you're serious about dumping it, send me a PM.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM   #19
Inner Circle

PM sent...
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #20
Major Player

Jon - I sent you an email but maybe it's blocked by spam blockers? Also, I can't email you through DVInfo because you haven't enabled that functionality in your settings. Check your spam folders, and/or send me another PM. Thanks.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #21
Inner Circle

e-mail sent... (and enabled...)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD