SmallHD monitor-how's it working out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SmallHD monitor-how's it working out?

I'm interested to know how users feel about using the new SmallHD monitor with the 5D2.
I wish to know how good a monitor is it when used outside in bright daylight, which is how I would normally be using it, following sports type action. Obviously it would be fitted with the folding hood.
The Z-Finder is great but it pushes me against the camera too much, making panning difficult.
I know about the image dropping to 480 when in record.

David T

Last edited by David W. Taylor; October 21st, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Tourist

Love it!

This monitor has been my favorite piece of equipment. Really makes a world of difference for me as most of my work is for Accident reconstruction...typically filming a driver view. The monitor lets me monitor what is happening even if I happen to be the driver, doing a one man shoot. I have used it a few times out in the open in the bright sun and had the sunshade on the whole time. I find that i naturally rest my face against the edges of the neoprene shade...kinda like Im wearing the monitor as a mask :) works great....
cant wait for the 5.6" to come out to put on my PILOT...
Ryan Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mine is working out great. I use it on a Glidecam X-10 system that I customized for HDMI display. It really looks great in HD and 480 (which the 5D switches to when recording).
I also use it as a monitor on studio rigs for the 5D and the EX3. Its a nice addition. Soon it will help me out using a very cool jib (EZ FX Jib). A worthwhile investment.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD