eyespy deluxe, 5D and tripod. Anyone using this combo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

eyespy deluxe, 5D and tripod. Anyone using this combo?

I've decided to purchase the Eyespy Deluxe from RedRock to get my camera on rails finally and because I'm in real need of follow focus and felt RedRock's kits are the best option for me. I went with this option over the other kits because the eyespy deluxe price (the "field kit" was a little out of my price range) and to be able to throw my rig on to my shoulder in those rare spots I find myself needing this. I suspect that I'll be using this on a tripod more then 90% of the time, but for that critical 10% of time to have a shoulder option will be important. So I am wondering are there any first-hand use out there of the eyespy on a tripod? How does it work and feel for you (balance, panning, etc)?

I have a Bogen 701HDV head that uses the dovetail plates and supposedly the shoulder part of the eyespy rig will slide right in to this. I also plan to use this with a Marshall LCD70p-HDMI monitor when it's both on my shoulder and on tripod and have ordered a micromount for this.
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi cristopher I'm about to start using that setup on a 7d. I'm in much the same position as yourself (10% handheld) please post your results when you have them.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #3
New Boot

Just rented the Eyespy from Alan Gordon this weekend and did the exact setup that you want to go with. The only addition is I had my Manhanttan LCD mounted on top with a hotshoe mount. It worked well. In terms of putting it on a tripod, the bottom of the Eyespy has holes for you to screw in your base plate. Once I screwed on my base plate, I just left it on so I could easily attach it to my tripod.
Gregory Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

How big is your monitor Gregory? Mine is 7" and with a large battery I was concerned going with a shoemount option

I got the eyespy last night and just starting to put it together.

I had only seen Redrock products and never actually touched onE and all I can say is WOW in how well every piece is made. My main rod base, that attaches to the shoulder is a little tight when trying to get the rods in. I had to really push and it made me a bit nervous but I think all is good. The rest of the pieces so far are prefect. My only dissapointment, and has nothing to do actually with redrock, is that I didn't know the 701HDV bogen head has a smaller quick realease plate which makes putting the shoulder dovetail directly in to the head impossible. This is leading to another issue because the bogen plate doesn't sit very well on the shoulder mount. Even tightened as much as I can there is some give between the plate and shoulder mount. Ugh going to have some testing tonight trying to resolve this.
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD