DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Does Magic Lantern firmware do anything to the Still capabilities of the 5Dmk2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/466618-does-magic-lantern-firmware-do-anything-still-capabilities-5dmk2.html)

Noel Ymana October 27th, 2009 09:22 PM

Does Magic Lantern firmware do anything to the Still capabilities of the 5Dmk2?

Hello,
I am fairly new to the DVinfo site, since I joined I've just been reading posts. I have recently purchased a 5Dmk2 and was wondering will using the ML firmware affect the digital still capabilities of the 5Dmk2?...Thanks

Chris Barcellos October 28th, 2009 11:00 AM

Magic Lantern does have some additional features for still shooting. I am not up on the still side, but I know it has bracket shooting and another one that allows you to shoot a scene on locked down camera, with the camera changing focus point for multiple shots. I understand this is a process that is used sometimes to allow still shooters to composite a shot that has critical focus from close up to infinity. Of course, appropriately automated lenses are required, meaning newer automatic lenses designed for communication with the EOS camera system. Even some or those may or may not work properly.

As far as other shooting situations, not sure if the benefit to using Magic Lantern is really there. I suppose zebras might be beneficial. Jon Fairhurst may be able to address this.

Jon Fairhurst October 28th, 2009 11:57 AM

Magic Lantern doesn't harm still shooting. You can have ML on your CF card and shoot stills normally. When you want to shoot video, load ML temporarily. Shut off the camera, pop the battery, and you're back to normal Canon firmware.

There are a couple of photo features, like focus bracketing, but you would only load ML for stills if you wanted that specific feature. Otherwise, just leave ML on the card and don't load it into the camera.

Chris Barcellos October 28th, 2009 12:12 PM

Hey Jon, I haven't tried using zebras with still shooting. Does that work in Magic Lantern successfully for still shooting ?

Jon Fairhurst October 28th, 2009 12:23 PM

I assume that it would work great. I'm not sure if I've tried it. I tend to just use the exposure meter for stills.

Bill Binder October 28th, 2009 12:43 PM

Stills shooter here, and I'd agree with most everything said here already.

For the most part, I'd avoid ML for stills unless you want more than 3 exposure bracketed shots (why is it that Canon must cripple stuff like that in "lower end" bodies, I mean WTF?) or you want to do focus bracketing.

Although zebras might be useful for stills if you are into using live view, not sure though, you might be better off not using ML and instead using exposure simulation mode can also display a live histogram. Not quite the same I know, but the blinkies are also there when reviewing images (if you turned on the blinkies that is). For me, I only use Live View for stills when on a tripod or when I need mirror lockup and on occasion when I need to utilize a more silent shooting mode (e.g., in a classical music setting, etc.).

I say this because ML can make the LCD get a little crazy on you at times, so I prefer it not loaded for stills. That said, If I'm doing a lot of back and forth between stills and video, I haven't had any problems just shooting stills with live view off and ML loaded.

Anyway, it's not too hard to just undo ML, simply turn off the camera and pull the battery out for a second and you're back to normal. You should just try both, ML is harmless as far as I can tell. Has anyone ever bricked their camera? Don't think so...