Does Magic Lantern firmware do anything to the Still capabilities of the 5Dmk2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Tourist

Does Magic Lantern firmware do anything to the Still capabilities of the 5Dmk2?

Hello,
I am fairly new to the DVinfo site, since I joined I've just been reading posts. I have recently purchased a 5Dmk2 and was wondering will using the ML firmware affect the digital still capabilities of the 5Dmk2?...Thanks
Noel Ymana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Magic Lantern does have some additional features for still shooting. I am not up on the still side, but I know it has bracket shooting and another one that allows you to shoot a scene on locked down camera, with the camera changing focus point for multiple shots. I understand this is a process that is used sometimes to allow still shooters to composite a shot that has critical focus from close up to infinity. Of course, appropriately automated lenses are required, meaning newer automatic lenses designed for communication with the EOS camera system. Even some or those may or may not work properly.

As far as other shooting situations, not sure if the benefit to using Magic Lantern is really there. I suppose zebras might be beneficial. Jon Fairhurst may be able to address this.
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Magic Lantern doesn't harm still shooting. You can have ML on your CF card and shoot stills normally. When you want to shoot video, load ML temporarily. Shut off the camera, pop the battery, and you're back to normal Canon firmware.

There are a couple of photo features, like focus bracketing, but you would only load ML for stills if you wanted that specific feature. Otherwise, just leave ML on the card and don't load it into the camera.
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey Jon, I haven't tried using zebras with still shooting. Does that work in Magic Lantern successfully for still shooting ?
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I assume that it would work great. I'm not sure if I've tried it. I tend to just use the exposure meter for stills.
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Stills shooter here, and I'd agree with most everything said here already.

For the most part, I'd avoid ML for stills unless you want more than 3 exposure bracketed shots (why is it that Canon must cripple stuff like that in "lower end" bodies, I mean WTF?) or you want to do focus bracketing.

Although zebras might be useful for stills if you are into using live view, not sure though, you might be better off not using ML and instead using exposure simulation mode can also display a live histogram. Not quite the same I know, but the blinkies are also there when reviewing images (if you turned on the blinkies that is). For me, I only use Live View for stills when on a tripod or when I need mirror lockup and on occasion when I need to utilize a more silent shooting mode (e.g., in a classical music setting, etc.).

I say this because ML can make the LCD get a little crazy on you at times, so I prefer it not loaded for stills. That said, If I'm doing a lot of back and forth between stills and video, I haven't had any problems just shooting stills with live view off and ML loaded.

Anyway, it's not too hard to just undo ML, simply turn off the camera and pull the battery out for a second and you're back to normal. You should just try both, ML is harmless as far as I can tell. Has anyone ever bricked their camera? Don't think so...
Bill Binder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD