What would we like Canon to do with the firmware? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 1st, 2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What would we like Canon to do with the firmware?

It is obvious that Canon and the other video camera manufacturers had misjudged the requirements of a large part of their users. The release of a fairly crude video facility to a full frame still camera was obviously not expected to produce the reaction that it did.
We can only assume that Canon, along with the other manufacturers, must now be re-thinking their video camera's.

However Canon have responded by adding features we've been asking for, to both the 7D and 1D models and we await the updated firmware that will further improve the 5D2.

Tramm Hudson had the skills to get stuck in to writing firmware code and has gone into areas such as 'zebras','crop marks' and 'sound'. I wonder therefore if Canon would be prepared to enter into firmware changes on that scale.

I personally would, in addition to getting 24p and 25p recording, love to see the audio AGC switchable. I realise that they'll never totally make it only manual, but as the camera will never have a useful mic and that many, many users will need to feed it from an external mic, so that also implies variable gain..a la Magic Lantern.

The HDMI output 'record problem' is often being talked about and Canon need to address that in some way.

I would be interested in finding out what would be the priorities on your list of firmware changes?

Dave T
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Taylor View Post
What would be the priorities on your list of firmware changes?
I wrote mine in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ggestions.html
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Major Player

I understand why they did it, but don't care. I'll add continuous shooting (seemless splits into the next video file). May not matter for a lot of you folks, but for music shooting and long interviews, this would be SOOOOO helpful.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Major Player

In weddings would be a huge help!
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes I agree that the limitation of shooting a file of max duration about 13 minutes makes some types of work difficult, but the reason I've usually seen offered, is to do with the classification in the EU about what makes it 'a video camera' and therefore attract higher tax. The way around that would be two models, with the 'pro' version (able to record long files) costing more.
DT
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, that's why I said, "I understand why they did it, but don't care." But, then again, Canon sells some pretty inexpensive camcorders in the US, so how much could we really be talking here? I'd probably pay north of $100 for that feature alone considering the PITA it is. I'd recoup that in lost time within one or two jobs.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would absolutely love to see the feature that Marshall Electronics integrated into their V-LCD70P-HDMI monitor: a viewing filter that turns the output video black & white and colorizes (with pink) any area that is in sharp focus.

Marshall Electronics - V-LCD70P-HDMI

The link explains it better — and I wouldn't be surprised if this feature would require more processing power than is available in the camera right now, but man! What a nice feature that would be for getting critical focus during a shoot. You wouldn't have to lug a monitor around for everything, at the very least. It could come in very handy for outdoor shooting.
Sean Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Reduce Aliasing/moire.... that's all I ask.
Jay Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Major Player

> Reduce Aliasing/moire.... that's all I ask.

I agree 100%.
Also,
Give us what Tramm has already succeeded with
Give us our choice of frame rates (within reason, I understand)
and if I could get that before December, that would be great. ;-)

Oh, and true HDMI output for monitoring - if not acquisition (via a Ki Pro, or similar).
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Just thinking out loud here, but given the difficulties Tramm has had thus far in getting inside the 7D, I am wondering if Canon might harden the camera against Magic Lantern in the upcoming update. It will be interesting to see. Meanwhile, we can keep rooting for progress on the 7D side. I was hoping Tramms forays into the 7D would give insight into a methodology of changing the frame rates for the 5D.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Regular Crew

1. full HDMI output during recording
2. variable crop marks
3. zebras for both hi/lows
4. countdown of how much time left on the current recording

yeah just about everything Tramm has already put in....
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Parker View Post
and I wouldn't be surprised if this feature would require more processing power than is available in the camera right now, but man! What a nice feature that would be for getting critical focus during a shoot. You wouldn't have to lug a monitor around for everything, at the very least. It could come in very handy for outdoor shooting.
Tramm already has this a bit implemented. I have the Marshall monitor and wow it does make a difference having this and the peek for what area exposed. But having such a large 7" monitor I hardly find myself using the focus peek since I can really tell even in 420p what is in and out. Granted I'm not filming macro work or something with very critical focus....
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Really? I didn't hear about Tramm working on that.
Sean Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Sean, it's in the current build. It's under video called edge detect but I believe it doesn't work.
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD