Is there any decent way to down-covert 5D2 footage to 16 x 9 SD for CS4 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I have done a comparison between 1080p exported from a PAL sequence in After Effects (AE does the rescaling) versus a full 1080p export subsequently downsized in Virtual Dub using Lanczos rescaling algorithm - and the second way is much better indeed. Much sharper.
Mike Hannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:44 PM   #17
Regular Crew

@Nik Skjoth
For small project you might be able to do so. But it's not ideal to do it for a big project with thousands of clips. You'll be spending all your production time scaling those clips one by one in the timeline.

@Mike Hannon
What plugins do you use for Virtualdub to be able to read your 5Dmk2 files?
Desmond Sukotjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Desmond,

I convert with Neoscene first, so I'm importing an AVI.
Mike Hannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Sukotjo View Post
@Nik Skjoth
For small project you might be able to do so. But it's not ideal to do it for a big project with thousands of clips. You'll be spending all your production time scaling those clips one by one in the timeline.
Not really... Premiere Pro CS4 allows you to make sequence setups of multiple formats in one single project. So you can simply do your edits in native res and after you are done, you do a "copy paste all" to a new sequense in SD, and while having everything selected you just right click and press "scale to frame size" voila!

Or you can throw the whole HD sequence into the SD sequence and scale it to frame size. Just like working in After effects with precomposed sub sequences... Easy as pie.
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Nik that's just a neat trick. I didn't see/notice that feature before. I know we can do this in after effects.
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis de la Cerda View Post
Yes, but you'll have to do some searching on the net. First, get the latest version of virtualdub. Then, search for the mpeg4 plugin so you can import the clips. Rename all your footage to a .mp4 extension (something like extension changer might help). Last, you'll need a utility to make the batch job for virtualdub. Be sure to select lanczos as the scaling method in the resize filter's dialog.
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this method specifically with Canon5D files.
I managed to download it all and install the quicktime plugin but it keeps saying "unable to locate video codec to decompress video track"

Any ideas?

Cheers
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Sukotjo View Post
I'm more interested with Luis de la Cerda workflow using virtualdub. It seems faster this way. We can batch process numbered of files. Instead of set them one file at a time in TMPGEnc.
TMPGEnc has a batch processor that's implemented in a common sense way (click on the "register batch process" instead of "start encode").
Rick Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #23
Regular Crew

@ Rick Hill.
Virtualdub as of now doesn't understand Canon 5Dmk2 files. It doesn't have a codec to read in those 5D files. Hopefully they'll have an update for this soon.
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #24
Regular Crew

So I exported an image sequence and resized each frame in Photoshop to SD image size. It was 10 minutes of footage and the export and resizing took about 4 hours on my 2.33Ghz 4G RAM Macbook Pro. Sounds like a lot of time, but really not with my specs. The import and saving of the new image sequence took maybe another 40mins. Thing is then I would have to re-render it again with sound put back in.

Anyways, the outcome was much better then any other option I've tried. I didn't get the moire and aliasing in the footage I was getting by just having adobe media encoder render my project out for DVD.

I compared the DVD to an actual Hollywood DVD played back in the same player on the same HD monitor and the jaggizes on diagonals were about the same. I think our perception is so critical because we see this great HD footage and used to believe the DVD was such a "perfect" format 6-7 years ago that we can't accept all the flaws we now see that probably were always there but we accepted it. Until HD came around.

I don't understand why AME isn't just taking each frame and resizing it like Photoshop does? Yes this would be time consuming, but shouldn't we have this option at least?
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lovenguth View Post
So I exported an image sequence and resized each frame in Photoshop to SD image size. It was 10 minutes of footage and the export and resizing took about 4 hours on my 2.33Ghz 4G RAM Macbook Pro. Sounds like a lot of time, but really not with my specs. The import and saving of the new image sequence took maybe another 40mins. Thing is then I would have to re-render it again with sound put back in.

Anyways, the outcome was much better then any other option I've tried. I didn't get the moire and aliasing in the footage I was getting by just having adobe media encoder render my project out for DVD.

I compared the DVD to an actual Hollywood DVD played back in the same player on the same HD monitor and the jaggizes on diagonals were about the same. I think our perception is so critical because we see this great HD footage and used to believe the DVD was such a "perfect" format 6-7 years ago that we can't accept all the flaws we now see that probably were always there but we accepted it. Until HD came around.

I don't understand why AME isn't just taking each frame and resizing it like Photoshop does? Yes this would be time consuming, but shouldn't we have this option at least?
sounds like it could be a work flow for a short film or something but very time consuming.

I have found that the problem isn't that noticeable going straight to dvd. Basically I have found the following:

Canon 5D mov -> Matrox 1440x1080 AVI -> Edit -> SD Mpeg DVD = acceptable

Canon 5D mov -> SD AVI -> Edit (looks bad already) -> SD Mpeg DVD = still looks bad

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD