1DmkIV low light video now online at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Major Player

1DmkIV low light video now online

Not sure where I should post this really , but anyway seeing as I draw a load of comparisons with the 5DmkII I guess here is as good as anywhere.

Dan Chung shooting horses in slow motion with the Canon 1D mk IV DSLR News Shooter

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Wrangler

I wouldn't consider those conditions particularly "low light" but it looks fantastic none the less!
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Glen,

True, my second video is a really low light test, should be up soon enough. That said a lot of this was shot on a 300mm f2.8 with 1.4x convertor, so essentially at f4. Also to shoot 60p you need 100th/sec so that cut the light down again.

Dan
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Dan, did you use the 300mm f2.8 lens to get those low angle panning shots?......they look awesome dude
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Wrangler

Cool, looking forward to it. So, Dan, how do you feel the mkIV stacks up against the 5DmkII and 7D respectively?
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Glen,

In terms of video I think the 1DmkIV has essentially the same video mode as the 5DmkII and 7D but with better low light performance and handling. In video mode the 1.3x crop is a happy compromise for me between full frame and 1.5x. I think the added bulk and grip actually helps handholding the camera 'naked'. As a stills camera the 1DmkIV is in a different league but we're not talking about that here.

Dan
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I wonder if the 1D4 would accommodate a PL mount? If so, it would be the DvSLR to have for high end productions that need to cover shots in tight places.
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Glen,

In terms of video I think the 1DmkIV has essentially the same video mode as the 5DmkII and 7D but with better low light performance and handling. .
Traditionally, the bigger the chip, the better the lower light capability. Any idea why the smaller chip of the 1D Markiv is able to perform better in low light ?
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Chris

At a guess I think its that it has fewer pixels and a newer design with less gap between photosites. Don't quote me on that one though, best to ask Canon.

Dan
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #10
Inner Circle

My guess is that the sensor is faster, so they're reading more pixels than on the 5D2.
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Trustee

Powerful footage, Dan. I really liked it.

The clips edited together of horses and jockeys leaving the stalls didn't match, but this didn't matter because the different camera angles and editing made it all flow nicely to the eye.

Probably the big thing missing for me was sound. Even dropping the background sounds of hooves and some of the crowd noise onto parts of the time line, and then adjusting sound levels would have lifted the sequence to an even higer level.

But even as it stands with just a music backtrack the video has a strong atmosphere to it, and also goes to show what the camera is capable of producing when in the right hands.
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #12
Major Player

Uh he put up some footages so we can see the video IQ in low light at high ISO, not for you to critique his editing skill.
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #13
Trustee

No problem, Khoi, you can tar & feather me for even thinking of saying what I liked about the footage and not sticking to pixel counts and shutter speeds. I'm sure Dan doesn't mind though and understands that it wasn't critique at all but more in praise of his work. :)

Regarding the low light levels, I agree that the floodlights help reduce the need for upping ISO too much, but the video does still look quite clean in fairly low light. Maybe not D3s clean, but still very nice. I'm looking forward to viewing more from Dan.
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Dan and Jon:

Thanks for your responses. I was wondering where this was going to outdo the 5D, and this looks like one of the areas. Dan after you shooting, any can you compare the the two camera's capabilities in any detail ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD