Tamron 28-75 / 2.8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Tamron 28-75 / 2.8

Has anyone been using Tamron 28-75 / 2.8 zoom lens and could provide a evaluation on it?
Thanks
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have not used this lens, but SLRgear has tests of many lenses used as still camera lenses, including this one:

Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical IF SP AF (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Major Player

I have the Tamron 28-75. I've done a little video with it, not much, and it performed fine. I also do quite a bit of still photography with the 5DII and this lens doesn't do as well as Canon L lenses for stills, so I tend not to take the Tamron along when I'm shooting.

The advantage of the Tamron 28-75 is its very compact size, and this can be a significant advantage. I used it quite a bit with the original 5D instead of the Canon 24-70 because of this, and the image quality was close to the 24-70 for that camera. The lens can also focus to near macro, and I use it now and then for closeup work. But the Tamron just can't keep up with the added pixels of the 5DII.

Other disadvantages, the lens can't use Peripherial Illumination Correction in the 5DII, nor can it use AF Microadjustment - these features only work with Canon lenses. Finally, I tend to beat up my equipment, and the Tamron hasn't held up as well as my Canons.

I don't want to come off too negative, I like the lens and respect what Tamron has done, but it doesn't fit too well with my shooting.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I use it on the 7d as a walk around lens. Sure beats the kit lens and am happy with the FOV even on a crop sensor. I just can't afford Canon glass so for my purposes it's ideal.
It's the telescoping type of zoom. Focus ring has enough meat to grip on.

Here's a review Tamron 28-75 review
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you.
I`m also thinking to buy the 7D with this zoom as a walk around lens. Having decided yet mainly because the overheating problem.
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Tourist

For the money I think it's a great lens. Check out this 100% crop from the lens on a 5DmkII: http://www.bluemandrill.com/plex/cat.png
Elan Feingold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan Feingold View Post
For the money I think it's a great lens. Check out this 100% crop from the lens on a 5DmkII: http://www.bluemandrill.com/plex/cat.png
You know it's pretty sharp when you realize an eyeball could use some photoshopping.

Two other drawbacks: 1) not parfocal 2) very little travel on focus ring, get used to moving the lens in tiny increments.

Neither of these are deal breakers for me. Although, I don't have experience with follow focus gears, I'm wondering if there's enough play/travel in the focus ring for a FF to work?

Last edited by Brian Luce; November 18th, 2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old November 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have one on my 5d and I absolutely love the lens. I don't have any great Canon glass to compare it to but it works well for video and stills. I used it a lot for my Doritos commercial.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #9
Inner Circle

One thing for sure, if you're transitioning out of the kit lens, like me, you'll think it's a Panavision. Some of the 5d and 7d users have extensive still photography backgrounds and came to the table loaded for bear lens wise.
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Some of the 5d and 7d users have extensive still photography backgrounds and came to the table loaded for bear lens wise.
Literally, I've done bear shoots, Kodiak Island and other places.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:45 PM   #11
Major Player

It's a fine lens.. the corners does get a bit soft but that doesn't come into play for the HD video mode..

Fact is, the relatively low resolution of the 1080P video is a real equalizer for lenses of a large range of resolution.

Flare resistance this lens is NOT.. at least not compared to my Canon Ls... but flare is sometimes a very good thing!

One little inconvenience is the the AF motor is not manual full time, unlike the Canon USM motors.. this means I have flip an Auto/Manual switch to change the focus mode.. It is not recommended to turn the focus ring manually while it's in Auto mode.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD