Fusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 17th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Fusion

Ever since the advent of the 5D MkII and now the 7D there's been a lot of talk about fusion.
Video people doing photography - photogs doing video.

I think I've hit on a way to really make it possible without having to either miss a moment on Video to get the Photo or vise-versa.

Here's my solution. :)

(5D II with our daughter's Fuji 5500 [Toy] - and taken with the 7D)
Attached Thumbnails
Fusion-img_3555.jpg   Fusion-img_3557.jpg  

Shane Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Incredible.
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Major Player

The 5DII is a real game changer, I was a photographer that went to video a few years ago mainly because I couldn't afford to do both and fell in love with video. I rented in a 5DII the other day to shoot a Love Story however what happened instead was is I took a lot of photos along with video, I then got home and designed a Designer Album for the couple as well. I love not having to choose between video/photos anymore - I can have my cake and eat it.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #4
New Boot

Hey Nicholas,
Since you're actively doing the fusion thing. (and since my first post was only a joke) let me ask you a serious question.

Say you've contracted with a couple to do a fusion job on their wedding day.
You're going to shoot video and do some stills.

The minister says, "you may kiss the bride".
What do you get?
Do you shoot the video? Do you take the photo? (because when you shooting video the camera will pause momentarily when you take a photo)

Is the client happy that have no photo of "The Kiss" or are they upset that the videographer missed it?

I think fusion - if not very clearly mapped out for the client as to what they get and what they don't - will result in a guaranteed way for your client to be unhappy about -*something*-.

Thoughts?
Shane Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Kerr View Post
I think fusion - if not very clearly mapped out for the client as to what they get and what they don't - will result in a guaranteed way for your client to be unhappy about -*something*-.
You kind of hit the nail on the head there, Shane. It is your responsibility to map out expectations. Some clients want a very clear manifest of what you will deliver, and others will hire you and give you carte blanche. Either way, sizing up your clients and knowing them reasonably well ahead of time makes all this much smoother.

Oh, and by the way, this applies to any business, doesn't it?
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Trustee

I did an impromptu 'fusion' recently when the couple hired me for the day and the photog only for the ceremony/photoshoot. When they saw I had the 5d2 at the reception, I was asked if I would mind shooting some stills of the reception as well as a couple of shots of some guests that hadn't been able to make the ceremony.

Because I had the 5d2, (and fortunately for a couple of shots I had packed the 430ex flash) I was able to successfully 'fuse'. Now I didn't charge any extra, I was using it as a goodwill gesture (which they were VERY happy about). Had I not had the 5d2, I really wouldn't even attempt 'fusing' under virtually any circumstances, because it is not as easy to capture both stills and video without putting some thought into it. I say that not because 'fusing' with a video camera is difficult (in fact it's much easier), but because the results are nowhere near as good as the DSLR.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD