iDC Follow Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #1
New Boot

iDC Follow Focus

The iDC viewfinder vs. Zacuto viewfinder has been discussed a lot, but I came across this great looking piece of FF:

iDC Photo Store - Specialty gear for the photographer

I like the size. Usually the FF´s for DSLR´s look like a bit clumsy to be operated by the person operating the camera, but this seems to be nice exception. Has anyone tried this? The lens options seem somewhat limited, but I guess that might be solved in the future because the FF is really simple in it´s design.
Matti Poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Major Player

There are two things that I don't like with this follow focus -- it can't be used with a battery grip, and the focus pull is backwards to any other follow focus on the market.

-- peer
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

And it looks like a skateboard wheel ;-)
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Interesting. I hope someone can review it soon.
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I actually have one on order. However by the time I get it, I will be in Colorado for a week and won't have a chance to play with it.
Brant Gajda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #6
Major Player

I like it

Considering the alternatives the price looks very good. I would like an independent review as well.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Daigon View Post
And it looks like a skateboard wheel ;-)
I believe it IS a skateboard wheel.

-- peer
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

I don't get it... there are a lot of "indie" dolly systems that utilize common resilient
polyurethane wheels, but the implication here is that somehow it's not appropriate
to use as a follow focus? So what, as long as it works well?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I don't get it... there are a lot of "indie" dolly systems that utilize common resilient polyurethane wheels, but the implication here is that somehow it's not appropriate to use as a follow focus? So what, as long as it works well?
I for one think it's super cool. If it wasn't for the two issues mentioned earlier (backwards focus pull and won't work on my camera due to the battery grip) I would've tried one. It's compact, easy to set up & operate, and it's cool looking.

-- peer
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Seeing as we drive on the wrong side of the road in the UK I suspect that a 'backwards' focus pull could be designed with this market in mind ;-)
I may be a customer for this piece of kit. Would like to know more, particularly about lens compatibility.
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
Seeing as we drive on the wrong side of the road in the UK I suspect that a 'backwards' focus pull could be designed with this market in mind ;-)
Not only that -- they could market it as an exclusive follow focus for Nikon lenses (since those are also backwards ;^)

-- peer
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
I may be a customer for this piece of kit. Would like to know more, particularly about lens compatibility.

From the website:

Compatible Lenses

Based upon the simple principles of rubber-on-rubber friction drive, the iDC Follow-Focus is compact, easy to adjust, and – best of all - encourages instant lens changes when the mode strikes. The iDC Follow-Focus will ONLY WORK with the following Canon Lenses on the Canon EOS 5D Mark II:

* 24mm f1.4 L
* 35mm f1.4 L
* 50mm f1.2 L
* 85mm f1.2 L
* 100mm f2.8 Macro
* 135mm f2 L
* 200mm f2.8 L
* 16-35mm f2.8 L
* 24-70mm f.28 IS L
* 24-105mm f4 IS L

The iDC Follow-Focus XL and the Canon EOS 5D Mark II will accommodate these Canon lenses:

* EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
* EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
* EF 135mm f/2L USM
* EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
* EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #13
Major Player

Many thanks Brant
I have the Canon 24-105 but most of my lenses are old manual Nikon primes.
I'm wondering if it will work with these and other non-Canon lenses.
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hard to say Richard. My guess is that the system is setup to work based on the size of the lenses listed above because of the swing of the follow focus wheel. If the Nikon lenses are of similar size (thickness) as the Canon lenses, it's quite possible they will work.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Major Player

Here is my POV on it...
First, I don't like the idea of any kind of possible slipping from my FF on a pay gig so that would rule this out. There was a company a hand full of years back that made a follow focus that had a rubber wheel that was the friction type like this and people always complained about how it slipped. How much pressure does the iDC put on the lens mount? For me, it's worth the extra cost to get lens gears and a follow focus that works with the other equipment I use. Also having the ability to use a whip is a must for smooth pulls or else use risk movement from your hand on the wheel.

I would say there are some things you need to think about before you buy a follow focus...

Is the construction/robustness important to you?
Do you plan on upgrading to a mattebox or other equipment that rides on 15mm or 19mm rails?
Do you need to make accurate focus pulls repeatedly?
How compatible do you want the FF to be with lenses?
What is your budget?
Do you get paid for gigs or do you just shoot as a hobby?

I use the redrock micro follow focus and it performs spot on every time for years now. I like how it is modular and you can upgrade it and it can work with many different pieces of equipment that ride on 15mm or 19mm rails. The price is right too! The cost is worth the piece of mind knowing your gear will not fail on a job too.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD