Remote editing workflow for 5DMKII? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Remote editing workflow for 5DMKII?

My editor is overseas with the latest Macbook (not Pro).

Is there any way to send him 30 hours of footage at lower resolution (say 1/2 res 960x540) for the edit, and then have him send me the project file for color correction and final output to 1080p?

Would I output each h264 mov from the camera into 1) prores 422 and 2) 960x540 files with the same file name? Then later, when he's completed the edit and sent me the project file, re-link to the prores 422 files?
Peter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Major Player

yep you can do that with respect of relinking the media. I am not totally sure how you would get the 30 hours of footage to him though.
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It sounds like it would be easier (and faster) to FedEx a hard drive to him, and then have him FedEx it back to you after he finishes editing... Transferring 30 hours of footage (even compressed) over DSL sounds like it would take longer than FedEx...

Just a thought...
David Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I recently used MpegStreamclip to convert my 5D files to Apple motion jpeg A at 960x540. At the 50% setting, the image quality was still quite good; at 25%, there are very noticeable jpg artifacts but for me it was still good enough quality for editing. When editing is finished, right-click on the sequence and select "reconnect media." Select the original 5D files (or better yet, pro res conversions), and make sure the video files have the exact same names as the low res versions. After connecting to the high res files, you'll need to render.
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Why not make a hard drive yourself of the footage and then make a copy onto another hard drive that you send to him and then all the editor needs to do is send you a email of the FCP project.

You could even have him send you project files daily so you can follow how the edit is progressing
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob thompson View Post
why not make a hard drive yourself of the footage and then make a copy onto another hard drive that you send to him and then all the editor needs to do is send you a email of the fcp project.

You could even have him send you project files daily so you can follow how the edit is progressing
ftw! .

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD