Redrock v. Zacuto - How did you decide? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Redrock v. Zacuto - How did you decide?

Or did you find a better value?
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Major Player

I understand recouping your R&D but they are both crazy expensive. I have been using Indisystems stuff and they have a new shoulder mount coming out that looks amazing (it's not on their site yet). It also costs in the hundreds of dollars not thousands. You should give Tim a call and ask him about the new rig. Unlike Redrock he answers the phone when you call and ask for advice. Not to say that Redrock and Zacuto don't make some fine gear, but for me I can not justify the price.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
Or did you find a better value?
I had the redrock system and switched over to Zacuto. Zacuto is much lighter and more solid. Yes they are both crazy expensive, but I feel worth it.

Jerry
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm almost done building my shoulder mount. aluminum components and will house my hmc-150 and smallHD monitor with QR plates. Also planning a QR plate so the whole rig will mount to my tripod OR I can put my monopod under it if I need to stay in one place for a while.
The QR plates are the most expensive parts (2 plates...$100) the rest of the metal and hardware is about $60.
As it's a prototype, it won't be very pretty but I'll post some pics once done which should be early next week.
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:40 PM   #5
New Boot

As an owner of both Zacuto and Redrock equipment, I must chime in and vouch for them. It's important to realize that the cost of their equipment is not just R&D but also quality production. Both companies make their products in the US. I've never had anything break from either of them... and I own two Redrock rigs and a Zacuto. The fact of the matter is... making quality equipment that will last a lifetime isn't something that you can nickel and dime. Would you want your camera falling off your rig as you run through the "trenches" of the crazy field we work in? I tell people I consult all the time to expect to pay at least 50% if not more of their camera cost in accessories to rig it. Look at what you have to pay to get a functional RED setup. Heck, look at the amount of money Hollywood puts into camera rigs and custom solutions!

So in short... just because these new DSLRs are cheaper... doesn't mean that we need to neglect the support equipment we use. You get what you pay for...
Joseph Stunzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Jerry -- I completely agree with you. Zacuto and Redrock indeed make VERY good stuff, but the problem is that also they know about this, and hence, can (for now) get away with their ungodly prices.

And yes, also I've talked & dealt with Indisystems Tim Ovel, and I must say that I'm very impressed with his sincere approach and excellent products, (and to boot; most of them are humanly priced).

So here it is again -- a silly video of my current 5D rig that is like a mishmash of pricy hi-end and crude DIY stuff:
(note: this video doesn't show my custom Indisystems slider, Manfrotto fluidhead tripods, Sennheiser lavs, or the D1 & D50 Sony PCM recorders)

-- peer
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Jerry

Our shouldermount is $395 (compared to $275 for the one you mention), the majority of our DSLR rigs are well below $900 and typically our prices are about 1/3 of a comparable Z rig, so I'm not sure where that info is coming from.

Thanks

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Major Player

Brian, I know that your prices are FAR better than Z's. Redrock (I actually have some) produces a very nice product and you charge for it. Unfortunately, more than I can personally justify (for the most part). I'm not here to put you down, only to offer some other items that I have found very useful. I don't think we are talking about the same items when we are making these comparisons. The rig that Indi is putting out (and I was referring to) would be closer to your Eyespy rig at $640.00. This is also probably the last contribution I will make to this thread as I didn't intend to make anyone unhappy. Brian if you would like to hear why I think like this please feel free to contact me via email, phone or PM.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have yet to make a decision on a shoulder mount, however Redrock and Zacuto are the two than I am considering.

Why? Chiefly because they are modular systems with excellent flexibility for current AND future applications. Great build quality from companies that are likely to be around in the future when I need additional stuff.

I already have a closet full of support equipment designed for video cameras that are unusable for the DSLR form factor. They don't need any more company from dedicated DSLR supports.

Who knows what form factor the next breed of video cameras will be?
Jay Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Weren't there reports of a Chinese or Korean supplier that had some high quality stuff and crazy low prices?

Peer, that's one cool rig. Your lenses probably cost more than my house.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Weren't there reports of a Chinese or Korean supplier that had some high quality stuff and crazy low prices?
I don't know about crazy low prices as it's still about $400 including shipping for basically just some rods & screw fittings but I think that this is what you are referring to (DSL-17)DSLR ROD SET +HANDLE GRIP+SHOULDER - eBay (item 170424348442 end time Jan-05-10 01:02:14 PST)

It would benefit us all if a manufacturer like Manfrotto (Bogen) were to start supplying shoulder mount DSLR video equipment. They already have a great range of high quality tripods, heads & very full range of accessories at good prices & they already sell the Fig Rig. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to develop something competitive given their obvious design & engineering abilities but most of all their capacity for mass production & volume sales that would deliver affordable gear.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:57 AM   #12
Major Player

I would say that the indisystem stuff is comparable to the Korean and Indian stuff in terms of quality, price, and robustness. I would compare redrock and zacuto to arri as far as robustness and design goes, but they all have their own price point and you need to think about what will work for you.

What type of shooting do you do?
Is design, robustness, quality, and price a factor to you?
Will you need something modular that you can upgrade in the future?

I know I say it a lot, but I really love my redrock stuff for numerous reasons... they offer a good middle of the road pricing with the really good designs, professional look, and robustness that is comparable to any of the big boys. Rodney Charters and Charles Papert both use redrock rigs on big productions and that says a lot. My gear gets beat up and luckily all of my redrock stuff keeps on going and still looks professional on gigs unlike some other stuff I bought thinking it would last, but didn't. Heck, I still use the old support system from my redrock M2 on my DSLR! These are my experiences and thoughts and you can take them as you wish. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:00 AM   #13
Major Player

I agree with Cody. The Redrock products are excellent and very well priced. The Zacuto products look excellent too. I think it's great that these two companies are developing innovative products for a niche market like ours and should be applauded.

Both companies have been very quick to get new products on the market and the modularity of some of the components means they will serve well with different cameras for many years - something that's very important given the speed of change in this industry at the moment. Indeed, I've only had to buy one small component to rig my DSLR with the rails, follow focus and matte-box that used to be connected to my lens adapter. I'd say that is good value:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD