automatically resume video shooting? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 6th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #16
Trustee

Agreed that auto-continue in video-mode is handy.

For remote stills & video I use the Shoot Interval Timer, and Phottix Hector for remote Live view framing.

For stop-start at distance in Video Mode I mainly use the RM-4D Universal Camera Remote Control (this works for all the Canon, Pentax and Nikon DSLR cameras).

The main problem with the 5D Mark II is that the sensor for infared beam is at the front of the camera, which can be a headache if you are trying to stop & start the camera from a distance directly behind the camera; but to get around this problem I simply use a small mirror attached via bendy-arm to the hotshoe. The mirror is positioned in front of the 5D sensor and then you just fire the beam directly at the mirror. It works well, especially for wildlife filming or photography.
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #17
Major Player

Magic lantern is working on getting the focus box off the screen so that you can capture the HDMI out feed to a digital video recorder, getting around the 4gig limit. Don't know how affective a wire removal plugin would be to use it at this time.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Second camera autmation

Thanks Tony and Greg - I am looking for something to automate a second camera for events.

Tony, does the Shoot Interval Timer and Phottix Hector auto stop and start every 12 minutes?

I am a one man band and will be using the Canon 5D2 in close and a 550D for the wide shots hopefully on some kind of auto mode.

I guess I will have to get my soldering iron out.

With regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Newberry View Post
Anyone know if there's a way to get the 5D to automatically resume shooting after it stops (when file size hits 4GB)?
I would prefer having a "warning" countdown from 10 to 0 in large red numbers before hitting the 4GB limit.

-- peer
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #20
Trustee

The camera does count the seconds if you press the "Info" button (although it counts up rather down). I would much rather have the small black numerals counter than large red numbers flashing on the screen. Plus the fact that the info counter can be left on-screen or off, to leave a clean frame or not.

On another note, it is not a 4GB Limit...although we'd better not shake that hornet's nest... :)
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

There aren't many hornets in that nest, Tony...

The limit is 29 minutes and 29 seconds (29:29) of standard-definition video recording.

Which works out to 4GB per clip, which itself is *roughly* twelve minutes or so of HD.

A good way to think of it is "4GB or 29:29, whichever comes first." In HD mode, it'll be 4GB.

That's all there is to it...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #22
Trustee

Roughly speaking of course, Chris...although the limit itself was not set by a 4GB barrier but rather the 30min limit... :)

But who really cares, as long as the hornets remain inside the nest. Now if Canon manages to break down import rules and 30-min limits and provide us with a camera that keeps on recording until a 100GB card is filled up or the battery dies, then that will be worth talking about!
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Arduino Parts ordered

I've ordered the parts - it'll cost around £26 depending on the switch and LED - which I expect will be pence. There is a box available for the Arduino board so I ordered that as well.

Looking at the open arduino experiences it would be feasible (although beyond my knowledge) to build the device you're needing. This board obviously has a clock on it and I've seen all manner of devices hooked up to it from motion detector devices to lights and other things. I guess it would be feasible to trigger the onboard clock to a display via the HDMI out on the camera. The forum for the Arduino board is here:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Will post back with experiences on building the IR auto resume device.

Regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #24
Trustee

We look forward to seeing how you get on with the soldering iron, Jeff. Just make sure to stay away from the old Mecano set in the attic when you're looking for spare parts. :)
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Clock on the Arduion Board

So here is a home made intervalometer with an Arduino. Proves the LED display can be hooked up.

Arduino Canon Intervalometer

iPod Canon 20d Arduino Intervalomters:

YouTube - iPod controlling a camera using an Arduino (incl. intervalometer)

I'll see if there is any experts who can help me design what we are looking for.

No meccano here - I was a remote control car lad. Electronics and mechanical stuff all in one.

Regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD