isopropyl alcohol for lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

isopropyl alcohol for lenses?

hello all.

I need to clean lenses in my 5D and HVX...not dust..more like finger smuges and stuff that wont come out with air...so, I have 99.953% isopropyl alcohol at home and was wondering if this will be better than using water...since i don't have proper lense cleaning fluid at home nor able to get one soon....?????

thanks a lot.
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Major Player

No I wouldn't if I were you, it might take off any coating.

A lens cloth would be fine or a lens pen which has the right kind of 'gentle' solution in it.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

and if not?

so, if i don't have the "gentle solution" that is ideal for the job..what is the second best choice?

water?
the 100% isopropyl alcohol?
a mix of the alcohol with water?
nothing?

thanks..
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Major Player

A dry lens cloth is all I ever use Osmany.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Any good camera store should have lens cleaning solutions, along with a micro-fibre lens cleaning cloth. Personally, I use a wet solution from the Schneider lens folks, along with a bulb-blower (to remove large dust/dirt particles) and a micro-fibre lens cleaning cloth. Also, where possible, I also use a clear glass (or other) filter in front of the lens.
Bill Sepaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Trustee

A little breath on the front lens element and use a micro fiber cloth in circular movements.
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
A little breath on the front lens element and use a micro fiber cloth in circular movements.
I second that. The best way to clean any lens.
Ilya Mamonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Major Player

99.9% isopropyl alcohol is fine. Modern lenses have very tough coatings. I'd be far more concerned about making sure that any grit is off the lens surface first, and that the lens cloth or lens tissue is clean.

The only lenses I have that have coating issues are over 50 years old.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #9
New Boot

Just breath on the lens and use a cotton cloth to rub away smudges. If you don't have or want to buy a lens cloth a clean cotton t-shirt would be fine. Make sure its cotton tho because other cloth materials can be abrasive. A trick I learned from my father.
Alex Hawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

got it

yes..breath and proper cloth did a very good job....amazing...later i'll get some lense cleaning solution...but for now it looks good.

thank you all for nice feed back..

peace

O
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau View Post
99.9% isopropyl alcohol is fine. Modern lenses have very tough coatings. I'd be far more concerned about making sure that any grit is off the lens surface first, and that the lens cloth or lens tissue is clean.

The only lenses I have that have coating issues are over 50 years old.
I always avoided alcohol on the lenses myself because the "coating" it had a tendancy to look/act oiley as if it was an oil based dunk. Then a pro told me that it is much more sofisticated than some liquid substance smeared on the lens, and they were Right. the coating wasnt about to fall off because alcohol cleanings. i still dont like lens cleaning paper at all.

when you make a lens cleaning formula, remember to use distilled water, beings many of these formulas are 90% that :-)
Old March 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Pancro Spray is just diluted isopropyl alcohol. It's right around the 91% mark, which you can buy at CVS or Wal-mart. It won't take the coatings off of the lenses, so just dab a bit on your lens cloth and wipe in circular motion. or the breath and a lens cloth works fine.
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #13
Trustee

Just for gods sake don't make a mistake and purchase RUBBING ALCOHOL - whatever the percentage shown on the bottle.

It often contains PERFUME OILS that are great for promoting skin suppleness when used for massage - but will wreak cleaning HAVOC on any lens assembly.

100% isoprophyl without any oils is the target. You can also use DENATURED alcohol for many cleaning tasks - it's just basic ethanol that's had chemicals added to it to create a HORRIBLE taste so as to render it undrinkable and therefore not subject to alcoholic beverage consumption taxes, etc.

Bottom line, alcohol isn't always just alcohol. So be a bit warry.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD