Lens for dialogue and car interiors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 14th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens for dialogue and car interiors?

I'm looking for a fix lens for shooting dialogue (over the shoulder - low light) and car interiors with a 5D MKII. I was wondering if 28mm will serve the purpose: sort of a compromise between the 24mm which perhaps may add too much distortion to faces and the 35mm which may not be wide enough.

THANKS
Old March 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Major Player

I'll be honest, I don't think the 28 would be good for dialog, I'd pick the 24 for your interior car shots and just pick up the "nifty fifty" for $100 and then later pick up a nicer 50 down the road.
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

A 28mm could work. It really depends on how intimate or how wide you want the final shot to look.

At 4:48 of the following video, we shot a scene with a guy in a theater seat with the camera one seat over and one row back. The lens is an EF 28/1.8 on a 5D. This would be similar to the view from the back seat of a car.

vimeo.com/6179655
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It really depends on a number of factors, such as how large a car are you using, what's your widest shot, how you are mounting the camera.

We spent three weeks filming in a car and I think the widest lens we used was roughly the equivalent of a 28mm on a FF35.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #5
New Boot

I really enjoy the Takumar 50mm f1.4, and here is a car interior shot to show you the scale of it on a Full Frame sensor. Good for closeup's, but I agree with everyone else about something in the 20-28mm range if you wanna see the car interior.
Photo of my director whilst in the car with the Super Takumar:
Herr Director on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nathan Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to get a descent 50mm first, seems it's a basic lens for narrative filming, and then I'll experiment with the wide angles.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD