Upper field First at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 18th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Upper field First

I have been using a 5d M2 for some time and the clips were always reported as Progressive, since the 2.0.3 firmware update they are reported as Upper Field First. I have done some searching but have not found any info. Just curious to know if this is normal or not. I edit with Edius and when I put the clips in the bin the properities show upper field after the update and progressive before the update.

James
James E. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey James, Check out this thread. It may help.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...mclip-fcp.html
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Jim

I was hoping maybe someone had the same situation I am seeing. Clips I shot the day before the update show progressive and clips I shot after the update show upper field first. I have not changed anything but something has changed.

James
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know anything about Edius, but I cut with FCP and I noticed some projects had some bad interlacing artifacts, but they completely went away when I switched field dominance to "none" (in FCP).
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Interlace handling in FCP is very bad. If you switch it to none, it will deinterlace everything that is set to upper or lower.
Mikko Topponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys

I guess I posted this in the wrong place, maybe it should of been in the firmware thread. I was just curious if anyone else had the same issue. It changed with the 2.0.3 update and continues with the 2.0.4 update. I can convert to Canopus HQ progressive and all is well, the properities just show the clips as Upper Field First since the 2.0.3 firmware update.

James
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I believe there is a note in the quick start instructions that says to select the newly converted files and change "upper field" to "none" after importing.
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Here it is from the .pdf Quick Start download:
Attached Images

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD