Hoodloupe Mag 3.0 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:07 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I got one of these. I think it only fits the 5D.

LCD Pop-Up Screen Hood Shade Cover for CANON 5D Mark II - eBay (item 260459825227 end time Apr-04-10 07:06:50 PDT)

The first step is to take the extra parts off. You also remove the viewfinder surround from the camera. The hood slides on it its place.

I used velcro with an adhesive backing on the hoodloupe and the hood. Unfortunately, it's not holding over the long term. Some use glue to put them together. I'll use the Red Rock holder soon...

microFinder loupe accessory kit
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:50 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I will try also new Hoodman magnifier.
This is my construction.
Kohan Photography
Hannu Korpinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:47 AM   #18
Major Player

looking forward to some feedback about this as it may make my Hoodman useful again.

Cheers

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:35 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I got one of these. I think it only fits the 5D.

LCD Pop-Up Screen Hood Shade Cover for CANON 5D Mark II - eBay (item 260459825227 end time Apr-04-10 07:06:50 PDT)

The first step is to take the extra parts off. You also remove the viewfinder surround from the camera. The hood slides on it its place.

I used velcro with an adhesive backing on the hoodloupe and the hood. Unfortunately, it's not holding over the long term. Some use glue to put them together. I'll use the Red Rock holder soon...

microFinder loupe accessory kit
Thats a good idea, Jon. I have seen someone on the web describing using the pop-up shade for a platform to the Hoodman. Is it light-tight when both are combined?

I use the Hasselblad finder on my 5D. It magnifies the image on the focusing screen 2.5x and adjusts from 3.5 to -2.5 diopters.
Attached Thumbnails
Hoodloupe Mag 3.0-hasselblad-finder.jpg  
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #20
Major Player

It's really simple (I did mine while sitting and editing a project). And I'm not surprised your's didn't hold up long term Jon.

I simple bead of Guerilla Glue attached to the base of either surface is all it takes. Once you remove the "wings" (in a second) the Hoodloupe fits perfectly to the opening. It sets up quickly with no weights overnight. Most importantly it stays rock solid, weighs nothing and snaps on and off the camera faster than changing a lens.

I would never use any of the other options after doing this including the Redrock, because it simply takes to much time to get it on and off. It also adds more weight and can't possibly hold it better than this because this holds as if it were molded to the camera (which of course it is).

Trust me, if you've got a Hoodloupe there is no better way, at any price, to attach it than with a $10 shade and a bead of glue.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM   #21
Inner Circle

> "simple bead of Guerilla Glue"

I think it's Gorilla Glue. I recommend using Guerrilla Glue only on projects for underground militias. ;)

Personally, I've resisted the temptation to permanently glue the loupe to the hood. (And to join underground militias.) I'll see how I like the Red Rock - and if there is a way to mod it for fast installation and removal.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM   #22
Major Player

Oh, now we're criticizing spelling? I'll start taking a red pen to your posts in the future.

But don't be a wuss Jon, Che Guevara would stick it on in a second.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:38 PM   #23
Major Player

I got my order in yesterday too.

I've had the Hoodloupe for over a year and only used it a couple times, mostly in bright sun. Never really was happy with how it worked. I tried the Mag 3.0 at the Redrock booth during the supermeet and it was a dramatic difference - whole screen was clear and visible from corner to corner with none of the blurring/aberration you get with the stock loupe when off axis. The eyecup is also significantly better than both the stock and the hoodeye. Assuming the production one hasn't changed much from the one I tried I'd consider it a must-have if you're using the hoodloupe.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #24
Major Player

Mine is on the way as well. I guess I'm one of the few that really had no problems with the original loupe, but for 40 bucks delivered for the magnifier how can I say no?
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:34 PM   #25
Major Player

That's nice to hear Evan. My one concern was that magnifying the existing optics would retain the narrow clear FOV because of the aberration.

When I learned that it was an add-on and not a replacement for the original optics I assumed that it must magnify the center of the existing image in order to have a clean edge to edge magnification.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I'll have it here by Friday and I'll definitely report back.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti View Post
Oh, now we're criticizing spelling?
I only note spelling errors when they crack me up. :) Then again, the image of a Gorilla gluing something together is probably funnier than Guerrillas doing the same...
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM   #27
Major Player

It's funny, I would never even think of using Gareela gloo if it weren't for an article/thread I read a while back when we were shooting with JVC HD100s. It was by a nature shooter who was going into the Amazon (I think) but he didn't have the right mount for a lens he needed and he was very specific about using "Gorilla Glue" to jury rig (etymologically correct sir) a lens together for the trip.

I figured, "hell if it's good enough for the jungle it's good enough for me" and went and got some. I think the first person to discover the "ebay VF" solution also specified Gorilla Glue for his creation.

Running a farm, I'm very familiar with the essential tools of life - duct tape and baling twine. I can't tell you how many times those two things have saved the day fixing a tractor or baler during haying, even fixing a horse while waiting for the vet.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:38 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Gorilla Glue is perfect for water resistance. The only problem that I've had with it is that it foams so badly. It's also slippery, so you need to clamp things well so they don't slide around before they set. So, clamp it well, and have some slips of wood or hard paper to scrape the foam off as it squeezes out for about an hour.

FWIW, I put together these speakers using Gorilla glue. And PLEASE don't take your red pen to the article. It would end up looking like a murder scene! (And yes... butts!)

Jon's Speakers
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM   #29
Major Player

Very nice job of recreating the original 4430 cabinet look in wood Jon and I would never stoop to red penning you. I've got a pair of 4412's (best mid-field studio monitors ever imo) sitting above the mixing console as I type and had the original 4430s in my monitor wall in the big room - they need room.

Back on topic <g>, I didn't clamp or wipe my Gorilla VFmount™. You must be one with the ape.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:02 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Nice work Jon. I've heard 4430s many times in various studios here in FL and Nashville and always admired their sound and look..but(t) yours look better!

BTW, did you build the guitar in the first pic? I've always wanted to build my own instruments..if I had any woodworking skills that is.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD