DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Hoodloupe Mag 3.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/475347-hoodloupe-mag-3-0-a.html)

Jon Fairhurst March 22nd, 2010 01:10 PM

Hoodloupe Mag 3.0

The Hoodloupe Mag 3.0 is now available.

HOODLOUPE MAG 3.0-Hoodman Corporation

I put in my order. Hopefully, it works as well as claimed. I also have access to a Z-Finder, so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Stan Chase March 22nd, 2010 01:35 PM

Thanks for posting this Jon. I'm looking forward to your comparison. I have the HoodEYE 3.0 but if the new one's much better I'll be putting the old one on eBay.

I wonder if Hoodman is going to package the loupe, eye, and strap into a Cinema Kit II?

Jim Giberti March 22nd, 2010 02:34 PM

You must have got an email like me Jon. And you'll probably get to test it before me too, due to my Vermont mountaintop location.

Jon Fairhurst March 22nd, 2010 02:46 PM

Hi Jim,

No e-mail. I just checked the site and there it was. I think they ship from the West Coast, so mine should arrive here in the hills before it gets to your mountain top.

Out here, we avoid living on mountain tops. The closest one to me is this one: ;)

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Jpg/M...-22-80_med.jpg

Chris Barcellos March 22nd, 2010 03:34 PM

Jon:

Just want to be clear on what you are talking about.

1. First, I buy HoodLoupe 3.0, latest version. It provides no magnification, but does have a focusable diopter so my old eyes can actually focus on screen ?

2. Then, if I want to magnify what I am seeing by 3x, I by the addition you are referrring to for $39.00 ? Are you able to view whole screen at once with the magnifier ?

Tony Davies-Patrick March 22nd, 2010 04:04 PM

I'm not too impressed with the original Hoodman loupe.

The Cavision isn't that great either. The LCDVF is a far better option. The Zacuto-Z is OK, but far too expensive for what it is.

An even better option is to use a Medium Format chimney finder from Zenza Bronica, Hasselblad, or Mamiya etc. The Bronica and Mamiya have quite strong magnification, but the Hasselblad is perfect at 2.5X and top-class optics with build quality a league above the Hoodman.

Jim Giberti March 22nd, 2010 04:08 PM

You had a chance to demo the new Hoodloupe Mag before it's release Tony?

Jim Giberti March 22nd, 2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1503714)
Hi Jim,

No e-mail. I just checked the site and there it was. I think they ship from the West Coast, so mine should arrive here in the hills before it gets to your mountain top.

Out here, we avoid living on mountain tops. The closest one to me is this one: ;)

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Jpg/M...-22-80_med.jpg

Yeah Jon, I'm with you on your choice of location. I'd have a tough time getting 20 horses and 8 Labs off of here in a hurry. Fortunately my farm is on very non-volcanic footing. In fact, at one time the Green Mountains were the tallest on the planet. Now they're a benign, largely tree covered range.

Back on topic - regarding the LCDVF Tony. It's really not an option for a lot of us with out a diopter. For $40, it's a non-issue to enhance the Hoodloupe. I'll be able to compare it to the Z when it gets here.

Tony Davies-Patrick March 22nd, 2010 04:32 PM

You mean this one Jim where you remove the orginal eyecup? (Which has been available for a while from Ebay):

YouTube - HoodEye 3.0

I've tried the Hoodman and straps options but didn't like it much, especially on the 5D. Even my Kenko Pro-Loupe was far better quality for focussing.

The new orders of LCDVF are due to arrive in UK in April (held up due to a large backlog of orders).

Regarding the large format chimney finders, they are all very good quality and most of the models have diopter correction.

Jim Giberti March 22nd, 2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1503739)
Jon:

Just want to be clear on what you are talking about.

1. First, I buy HoodLoupe 3.0, latest version. It provides no magnification, but does have a focusable diopter so my old eyes can actually focus on screen ?

2. Then, if I want to magnify what I am seeing by 3x, I by the addition you are referrring to for $39.00 ? Are you able to view whole screen at once with the magnifier ?

Hey Chris. The existing Hoodloupe has no magnification and does have a diopter that works great. Unlike some, we've had no trouble working with the Hoodloupe (except that you have to be centered on the glass to get a clean image.

No one knows how the new Mag 3.0 looks as it's just released today and I'm guessing both Jon and I are among the first orders. One of the Redrock boys posted about it in pre-production and said it looked great. For $40 it's a no brainer if you've already got a Hoodloupe.

In general, the Hoodloupe is light and well made. I have one mounted on a $10 ebay 5DII lens shade that I think is the best mounting solution for any of the VFs at any price. If you get one I'll tell you all about it.

Jim Giberti March 22nd, 2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1503770)
You mean this one Jim where you remove the orginal eyecup? (Which has been available for a while from Ebay):

YouTube - HoodEye 3.0

I've tried the Hoodman and straps options but didn't like it much, especially on the 5D. Even my Kenko Pro-Loupe was far better quality for focussing.

The new orders of LCDVF are due to arrive in UK in April (held up due to a large backlog of orders).

Regarding the large format chimney finders, they are all very good quality and most of the models have diopter correction.

No Tony. Hoodman just released the new Mag 3.0 today. It's a 3x magnifier that fits onto the original body the same way as the Hoodeye 3.0.

I never bothered with the rubber straps. Mounting a VF on one of the lens shades that are made for the 5DII is the clever way to do it. It goes on and off instantly, fits tight, weighs nothing and looks like Canon made it. All it takes is 5 minutes and a little glue to set it up.

Tony Davies-Patrick March 22nd, 2010 04:55 PM

Sorry, Jon and Jim, I was of course reffering to the Hoodman with Hoodeye Eyecup 3.0 and not the latest Mag version.
I look forward to hear how you get on with it and how much improvement it provides.

Stan Chase March 22nd, 2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Giberti (Post 1503783)
For $40 it's a no brainer if you've already got a Hoodloupe.

They're already on eBay - $34.79 after Bing and Mr Rebates cashbacks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hoodman-HOODEYE-...mZ370352406643

EDIT: Just bought one..there's 4 left.

Quote:

In general, the Hoodloupe is light and well made. I have one mounted on a $10 ebay 5DII lens shade that I think is the best mounting solution for any of the VFs at any price. If you get one I'll tell you all about it.
Agreed. The T1i shade I was using fits my T2i just fine.

Jon Fairhurst March 22nd, 2010 06:13 PM

I agree with Jim that the Hoodloupe is well made and the diopter works well. (I love not having to take my reading glasses on and off.) The shortcomings are 1) the image gets soft if the eye is off center, 2) there's no magnification, 3) the stock eyecup is ineffective, and 4) they don't have a good, built-in mounting solution.

I'm hoping that the 3x Mag will take care of the first three items.

Regarding mounting, I've also got a lens shade. It clips on the view finder. I don't like that when I remove it, my viewfinder is naked. I used velcro to connect the loupe to the shade, but it's coming apart. Soon, I will receive a Hoodloupe mount from Red Rock. My only misgiving about their design is that it doesn't snap on/off easily. (It mounts between the camera and the mounting plate.) I'll see if I can come up with a way to quickly add and remove it.

This is less of an issue if you have a nice monitor. You can just leave the loupe on the camera full time. Pull the camera/loupe off the tripod/jib/slider and use the loupe on a shoulder rig. Put the camera back on the tripod/jib/slider, plug in the HDMI cable and view the monitor. The loupe can stay on the camera until you put everything away in the case.

Leonard Levy March 22nd, 2010 11:03 PM

Jim and Jon
Can you explain in more detail how you are mounting the hoodloupe on the camera. I just got a T2i and haven't tried mounting on that but it looks scary because the camera itself is small.

I agree the hoodloupe is pretty great the Mag eyepiece sounds like a no brainer. I use it on my Ex-1 also.

Jon Fairhurst March 23rd, 2010 01:07 AM

I got one of these. I think it only fits the 5D.

LCD Pop-Up Screen Hood Shade Cover for CANON 5D Mark II - eBay (item 260459825227 end time Apr-04-10 07:06:50 PDT)

The first step is to take the extra parts off. You also remove the viewfinder surround from the camera. The hood slides on it its place.

I used velcro with an adhesive backing on the hoodloupe and the hood. Unfortunately, it's not holding over the long term. Some use glue to put them together. I'll use the Red Rock holder soon...

microFinder loupe accessory kit

Hannu Korpinen March 23rd, 2010 01:50 AM

I will try also new Hoodman magnifier.
This is my construction.
Kohan Photography

Wayne Avanson March 23rd, 2010 03:47 AM

looking forward to some feedback about this as it may make my Hoodman useful again.

Cheers

Avey

Tony Davies-Patrick March 23rd, 2010 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1503968)
I got one of these. I think it only fits the 5D.

LCD Pop-Up Screen Hood Shade Cover for CANON 5D Mark II - eBay (item 260459825227 end time Apr-04-10 07:06:50 PDT)

The first step is to take the extra parts off. You also remove the viewfinder surround from the camera. The hood slides on it its place.

I used velcro with an adhesive backing on the hoodloupe and the hood. Unfortunately, it's not holding over the long term. Some use glue to put them together. I'll use the Red Rock holder soon...

microFinder loupe accessory kit

Thats a good idea, Jon. I have seen someone on the web describing using the pop-up shade for a platform to the Hoodman. Is it light-tight when both are combined?

I use the Hasselblad finder on my 5D. It magnifies the image on the focusing screen 2.5x and adjusts from 3.5 to -2.5 diopters.

Jim Giberti March 23rd, 2010 09:49 AM

It's really simple (I did mine while sitting and editing a project). And I'm not surprised your's didn't hold up long term Jon.

I simple bead of Guerilla Glue attached to the base of either surface is all it takes. Once you remove the "wings" (in a second) the Hoodloupe fits perfectly to the opening. It sets up quickly with no weights overnight. Most importantly it stays rock solid, weighs nothing and snaps on and off the camera faster than changing a lens.

I would never use any of the other options after doing this including the Redrock, because it simply takes to much time to get it on and off. It also adds more weight and can't possibly hold it better than this because this holds as if it were molded to the camera (which of course it is).

Trust me, if you've got a Hoodloupe there is no better way, at any price, to attach it than with a $10 shade and a bead of glue.

Jon Fairhurst March 23rd, 2010 10:48 AM

> "simple bead of Guerilla Glue"

I think it's Gorilla Glue. I recommend using Guerrilla Glue only on projects for underground militias. ;)

Personally, I've resisted the temptation to permanently glue the loupe to the hood. (And to join underground militias.) I'll see how I like the Red Rock - and if there is a way to mod it for fast installation and removal.

Jim Giberti March 23rd, 2010 11:02 AM

Oh, now we're criticizing spelling? I'll start taking a red pen to your posts in the future.

But don't be a wuss Jon, Che Guevara would stick it on in a second.

Evan Donn March 23rd, 2010 12:38 PM

I got my order in yesterday too.

I've had the Hoodloupe for over a year and only used it a couple times, mostly in bright sun. Never really was happy with how it worked. I tried the Mag 3.0 at the Redrock booth during the supermeet and it was a dramatic difference - whole screen was clear and visible from corner to corner with none of the blurring/aberration you get with the stock loupe when off axis. The eyecup is also significantly better than both the stock and the hoodeye. Assuming the production one hasn't changed much from the one I tried I'd consider it a must-have if you're using the hoodloupe.

Jerry Porter March 23rd, 2010 01:32 PM

Mine is on the way as well. I guess I'm one of the few that really had no problems with the original loupe, but for 40 bucks delivered for the magnifier how can I say no?

Jim Giberti March 23rd, 2010 01:34 PM

That's nice to hear Evan. My one concern was that magnifying the existing optics would retain the narrow clear FOV because of the aberration.

When I learned that it was an add-on and not a replacement for the original optics I assumed that it must magnify the center of the existing image in order to have a clean edge to edge magnification.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I'll have it here by Friday and I'll definitely report back.

Jon Fairhurst March 23rd, 2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Giberti (Post 1504180)
Oh, now we're criticizing spelling?

I only note spelling errors when they crack me up. :) Then again, the image of a Gorilla gluing something together is probably funnier than Guerrillas doing the same...

Jim Giberti March 23rd, 2010 03:30 PM

It's funny, I would never even think of using Gareela gloo if it weren't for an article/thread I read a while back when we were shooting with JVC HD100s. It was by a nature shooter who was going into the Amazon (I think) but he didn't have the right mount for a lens he needed and he was very specific about using "Gorilla Glue" to jury rig (etymologically correct sir) a lens together for the trip.

I figured, "hell if it's good enough for the jungle it's good enough for me" and went and got some. I think the first person to discover the "ebay VF" solution also specified Gorilla Glue for his creation.

Running a farm, I'm very familiar with the essential tools of life - duct tape and baling twine. I can't tell you how many times those two things have saved the day fixing a tractor or baler during haying, even fixing a horse while waiting for the vet.

Jon Fairhurst March 23rd, 2010 03:38 PM

Gorilla Glue is perfect for water resistance. The only problem that I've had with it is that it foams so badly. It's also slippery, so you need to clamp things well so they don't slide around before they set. So, clamp it well, and have some slips of wood or hard paper to scrape the foam off as it squeezes out for about an hour.

FWIW, I put together these speakers using Gorilla glue. And PLEASE don't take your red pen to the article. It would end up looking like a murder scene! (And yes... butts!)

Jon's Speakers

Jim Giberti March 23rd, 2010 04:27 PM

Very nice job of recreating the original 4430 cabinet look in wood Jon and I would never stoop to red penning you. I've got a pair of 4412's (best mid-field studio monitors ever imo) sitting above the mixing console as I type and had the original 4430s in my monitor wall in the big room - they need room.

Back on topic <g>, I didn't clamp or wipe my Gorilla VFmount™. You must be one with the ape.

Stan Chase March 23rd, 2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1504312)

Nice work Jon. I've heard 4430s many times in various studios here in FL and Nashville and always admired their sound and look..but(t) yours look better!

BTW, did you build the guitar in the first pic? I've always wanted to build my own instruments..if I had any woodworking skills that is.

Jon Fairhurst March 23rd, 2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Giberti (Post 1504331)
...I didn't clamp or wipe my Gorilla VFmount™.

You must have used a very small bead. Did you not use water to activate it? If you use too much, wet the wooden surfaces, and fail to wipe, the result can look like a meringue pie!

And, yes, 4412s rock. :)

@ Stan - I didn't build the guitar. Maybe some day...

Jim Giberti March 24th, 2010 09:30 AM

That's definitely the trick with GG...a very small bead. I learned that with something else so I put the thinnest of beads around one surface. The relevant point is how well it's adhered and stood up to use.

We're pretty kind to our gear given the circumstances, but we do an inordinate amount of sports film work and back country stuff and the Hoodloupe is on the second 5D that is used almost exclusively handheld/shoulder mount. It lives in a LowePro Trekker and travels on snowmobiles, snowshoes, helicopters etc. The VF comes on and off repeatedly day in and out in order to fit the camera in and out of the Trekker.

Through all of those hundreds of hours of rough use, it's as strong and tight as the day I stuck it on.

We've got an indoor TV shoot tomorrow and then I'm off again on locations. The new Mag will be here before I leave Friday and I'll get to test the hell out of it.

Leonard Levy March 24th, 2010 09:34 PM

Hoodloupe will be coming out with a mounting system that is adjustable and has a solid attachment via the eyepiece. Hope its soon.

Evan Donn March 25th, 2010 02:55 PM

My Mag 3.0 just arrived a couple hours ago and I've been playing around with it since. I've got to say that it doesn't feel like as dramatic a difference as I originally noticed when I tried it at the supermeet a couple of months ago, but that may be down to being able to try it side by side with the stock one at the time.

It's a definite improvement, the image is larger and clearer. The eyecup is a huge improvement over stock. I actually believe the eyecup contributes significantly to the feeling of improved clarity - it forces you to center your eye properly on the loupe. It also seals out light completely and is much more comfortable, so you can comfortably use the loupe as a third point of contact for stabilization purposes over extended periods of time.

The magnification is good but 3x seems to be a bit of an exaggeration, I'd estimate it's closer to 2-2.5x - but that's not necessarily a bad thing. When I've tried the z-finder I always feel like I'm sitting a little too close to the screen in a theater, it takes too much eye movement to take in the whole screen. With this one I don't get that feeling.

Overall I'm glad I've got it, I haven't gotten a lot of use out of the stock loupe and I think I'll use it a lot more with the new eyepiece. That said, it feels a bit overpriced at $40 for what it is and does - half that seems more reasonable, but honestly it really feels like it should just be the stock eyepiece on the Hoodloupe in the first place. However, at $120 for the combo it's cheaper than it's closest competition, the LCDVF (which doesn't include diopter adjustment). The Hoodloupe doesn't include a mounting system though, so that potentially adds to the cost... I'll probably go with Redrock's mount...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1505023)
Hoodloupe will be coming out with a mounting system that is adjustable and has a solid attachment via the eyepiece. Hope its soon.

Where did you hear about this? If it is soon I'll probably wait to see what their solution looks like before committing to Redrock.

Jim Giberti March 25th, 2010 03:59 PM

Mine was here when we got back to the studios today. I don't know if you upgraded to the Hoodeye 3.0 that gave the Hoodloupe a decent soft eyecup and also aided in centering the image Evan, but the eyecup on the new Mag is twice it's size and much more comfortable, much better isolation and as you say, a much better third point than even the Hoodeye.

I'm just logging footage for a rough of todays commercial so I really didn't have time to do anything more than put it on and look through it quickly. Not putting them side by side, I'd agree - I don't think it's a full 3x like the Z, which I also think is a good thing.

When I heard about it, I wished that Hoodman went for a 2x rather than the "in your face" and a bit pixelated image of the 3x.
I think this actually granted my wish...not so magnified that you lose perspective but definitely a much cleaner image edge to edge and a far superior eyecup. I'm guessing you're right with 2-2.5X.

Anyway, it looks like it will make the Hoodloupe a very affordable, professional tool now for a lot of people.

Evan Donn March 25th, 2010 08:25 PM

I never added the Hoodeye because I felt the eyecup wasn't deep enough to really be comfortable, the new one is definitely much better. And you're right - the magnification isn't so much that the individual screen pixels start standing out, I'm thinking it's just about right.

Leonard Levy March 27th, 2010 10:36 PM

Heard about about mount in conversation with Hoodman salesperson a few days ago. No timeline though. They used to make flip out shades that mounted in this manner but not adjustable so it makes sense. It also makes sense for them to come up with a good mount and they are a pretty invention bunch.

Lenny

William Chung March 29th, 2010 05:32 PM

Wondering how are your guys feelings about this product after a few days of use? I am in line to buy a lcdvf once they finally are available again but since this in some ways is even better than the lcdvf I was thinking about buying one of these also (need 2 anyways).

Thanks

Jim Froom March 29th, 2010 07:30 PM

I got my 3x magnifier addition for my Hoodloupe this weekend. I also have two Hasselblad Chimneys that I use also on the Canons.
I have been testing with my 7D and 5D. They are pretty much identical to my eye.

I've never used a Z Finder so I can't compare quality. I will say my opinion (guess) is that there probably isn't much difference. I have 3 units ( 2 Chimneys and 1 Hoodloupe for a total of around $220 invested including a large roll of industrial velcro. From a value and usability standpoint, I'm very satisfied with my setup.

Even though the Hoodloupe is more money than the used Chimneys, I'd go with the Hoodloupe as it's a little lighter and I like the rubber unit more so then the metal Chimney. I only ask that they firm up the eye cup on the Hoodloupe as it moves around two easily.

Stan Chase March 29th, 2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1503830)
Anyway, it looks like it will make the Hoodloupe a very affordable, professional tool now for a lot of people.

I received my HoodMAG today and agree with Jon's comments. The eyecup is about 50% larger, but not deeper, than the non-magnified HoodEYE and made of softer, more comfortable, and easily bendable material. I like the 3x but it's not a night and day difference from 1x. Once I get used to it I doubt I'd want to go back.

When Hoodman comes out with their mount, they should package it with the HoodLoupe and HoodMAG as the Cinema Kit II (or something similar) and price it around $125-150.

Now all I need is a ND filter kit and a generic battery grip and I should be through with accessories for my T2i. Then I can save for a 70-200 2.8 IS telephoto zoom.