Zacuto Camera Shootout (5Dmk2, 7D, 1DmkIV, T2i, D3s, GH1 & Film) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #31
Major Player

Really well done It's great to see Nikon pushing past Canon. The upcoming 1Ds4 should be incredible.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
My impression was that the test was not designed to catch the weaknesses of the DSLR's very much - No motion, and especially no detailed surfaces likely to create moire. The latter is a big one. Someone told me yesterday about a 2 camera corp CEO interview with EX1/Letus combo and a 7D. There was a barely noticable pattern to the CEO's shirt that went beserk on the 7D and was completely unusable.

Yep, these are fiddly cine camera's, not video workhorses. It wonderful to have a choice now. We've had competent reasonable cost video for many years now. Do you want a temperamental race horse or a well behaved plow horse?
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Yes, I don't think I would feel comfortable showing on a job with just one of the vDSLRs. I am looking at incorporating these into my work, but will always have a "video" camera around just in case a "weakness" is encountered.

I am enjoying the testing, very happy they are doing it and think it is pretty effective marketing for Zacuto.

And I agree, they are showing the best side of the vDSLRs. But maybe that is the only way they should be used, pretty much like a motion picture treatment, and not a video role.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #34
Major Player

I'm enjoying watching the videos.

But...

Kind of bugs me they don't seem to be using res charts for their resolution tests (in pt.3). They're just going to blow up parts of existing footage they shot. That's kind of the first thing they're doing that I'm much less than impressed with.

And, I agree that they should do some high-speed motion and camera pans, etc. If this is really a "shoot-out," why not? It would be HIGHLY educational to see the comparisons.

I do look forward to the green-screen stuff.

Overall, I think they are doing a good job, and a VERY good job adding to hype.

Last edited by Matthew Roddy; April 11th, 2010 at 02:12 AM.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Denham View Post
This is by far the most professional and relevant set of comparisons that I've seen so far. It is well worth waiting for this video to load if your connection isn't up to speed. Can't wait for part 2.
Put your glass down and don't drink too much Zacuto cool-aid.

All these tests are meant to show the strengths of the DSLR's.

The third test is going to focus on color and chroma keying.

The big achilles heal of these cameras is the morie/alaising and rolling shutter. These are MAJOR problems, yet they are not addressing them.

I can understand it, because Zacuto makes money selling DSLR accessories.

Like I said earlier, don't drink too much kool-aid.
John Mastrogiacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I love these little SLRs but please.....

At 1:22 on the second video, you can see the jello brick walls, it is a shot with Phillip Bloom in their studio. This is the kind of ridiculous nonsense these cameras do, I certainly hope will be covered. Stu has been vocal about this kind of thing (and the aliasing issues), hopefully the whole thing wont be glossed over in the attempt not to hurt the feelings of anyone.

The lightbulb on 35mm Kodak is so superior I don't know where to start.

The other problem is looking at these files on small screens. If they could split screen the ISO's it might help for us web viewers, I can't always see the difference on a laptop. Especially when I know there is compression involved for web delivery.

Ive done some green screen stuff with the 5DMK2 and it actually came out pretty good, so I dont expect that that camera will fail terribly, even with the heavily compressed 4:2:0. The Nikon and Panasonic are lousy, I cant believe the banding of the GH1, horrendous.

One thing that I though was really interesting was that Nikon noise reduction. The problem at least to me, with video noise is the discreet patterns of the noise, which are much uglier than film. If they can build algorithms that deal with these patterns, digital will really make some leaps if they can randomize and desaturate the noise.

That and please deal with the darn highlight rolloff, to me that is the dead giveaway of video.

Another thing I did not quite understand was the concept of upping the ISO, and leaving the lens wide open at f1.4. If I were shooting in low light, I would love that I could bump up the ISO (aka gain) and stop down to something like f4 or 5.6. I dont know what anyone learned by allowing the highlights to become 3-4 stops overexposed. You would get a true feel for the video noise performance by looking at a shot with a correct exposure.

Some of their noise, in the area of the frame that which is supposed to be pure black, is exacerbated by the radical over exposure of the video. I don't see how using a radically incorrect exposure teaches you anything, much of that shadow noise would be crushed.
Cris Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Yes, I don't think I would feel comfortable showing on a job with just one of the vDSLRs. I am looking at incorporating these into my work, but will always have a "video" camera around just in case a "weakness" is encountered.
Yep, the DSLR's can REALLY burn you. For me, moire pops up where you don't expect it and then sometimes does NOT show up where you would expect it. Temperamental little bugger.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mastrogiacomo View Post

The big achilles heal of these cameras is the morie/alaising and rolling shutter. These are MAJOR problems, yet they are not addressing them.

I am not in the habit of drinking anyone's cool aid. I have come across the limitations of the 5D in practice so I have no illusions about the camera. I don't own any Zacuto products and don't have any plans to buy any, and yes, I can see how this is good marketing for Zacuto. However, having said all of that, these are still very professional comparisons and well worth watching.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Is the chroma key test published? Or upcoming?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Yep, the DSLR's can REALLY burn you. For me, moire pops up where you don't expect it and then sometimes does NOT show up where you would expect it. Temperamental little bugger.
The trick is to learn why and how that occurs so you can be in control.
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Is the chroma key test published? Or upcoming?
I am guessing there will be a lot of surprises on that. I was surprized about two weeks into having the camera (5D), when I shot a promo for a contest. Now I am not saying we shot it perfect, and that there aren't some problems, but we shot this in a quick set up in my garage and with the screen to close, and with all the wrong light, and I pulled the key in Vegas.... As a result I am pretty sure there will be good results from their test. Here is the promo:

Old April 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #42
Regular Crew

4k projection???

Did I hear the video right (I believe they said) that the 5D et. al. were comparable to film on the 40 foot screen?

Were the DSLR videos up-resed to 4k for 4k projection alongside the film clips? Did they use a 4k projector?
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mastrogiacomo View Post

I agree completely.

Zacuto has maybe another year before the market tanks. His stuff looks cool, works relatively well but is terribly overpriced. With enough of this kind of promo he'll make a lot of money in the next year.

Then the real changes in the market will begin:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...shown-nab.html
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kahn View Post
Did I hear the video right (I believe they said) that the 5D et. al. were comparable to film on the 40 foot screen?

Were the DSLR videos up-resed to 4k for 4k projection alongside the film clips? Did they use a 4k projector?
No, it was a 2K environment:

"The test results were projected in a 2K theatrical environment at three screening locations: Stag Theater at Skywalker Ranch, LucasFilms Ltd., AFI (American Film Institute) Theater in Hollywood and the FilmWorkers Astro Color Timing Theater in Chicago."
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Then to me a 4k projection test would be very interesting.
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD