wav vs. mp3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 8th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Telecam Films

wav vs. mp3?

I am planning to record double sound using a high bit rate (320kbps) MP3 format with a Tascam DR-100. I like the size of MP3 files. I could fit an entire week of production on a single 16GB SDHC card and that would greatly facilitate files management. Is there any drawback in using MP3 vs. WAV in audible sound quality for interviews and ambient sound?
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes...it's just not worth using lossy compressed audio formats like mp3 when wav files take up so little space compared with video.
The only reason all these compressed audio and video formats exist is because of disk space limitations. That's becoming much less of an issue now hard-drives and portable storage is now so cheap.
David

PostFade
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
I am planning to record double sound using a high bit rate (320kbps) MP3 format with a Tascam DR-100. I like the size of MP3 files. I could fit an entire week of production on a single 16GB SDHC card and that would greatly facilitate files management. Is there any drawback in using MP3 vs. WAV in audible sound quality for interviews and ambient sound?
Yes, because MP3's suck bad in general and even worse for production work (any editing at all). Definitely a VERY BAD IDEA.
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Major Player

My opinion is that I will allow my music bed to be an MP3, since most of what i do has VO covering the music.
But I would definitely have all of my acquisition be as high quality as possible. Uncompressed WAVs is the only way to go, I'd say.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD