"Vintage-warm-retro" video: Which lense? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 5th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I just got my first alt glass lens and I'd say it's pretty easy to get a retro look with this lens. It's an Asahi SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 and it's awesome. $130 on eBay plus a $15 adapter. When I got it I went out in the front yard and shot this video footage with it. No color correction in post.

Check the description and posts on Vimeo for more info.
Mark Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Randall View Post
I just got my first alt glass lens and I'd say it's pretty easy to get a retro look with this lens. It's an Asahi SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 and it's awesome. $130 on eBay plus a $15 adapter.
Looks like a nice/fun lens -- the only problem I have with it (the same with all Nikkor glass) is its backwards focus pull. It's like you suddenly have to drive in England... with a British stick shifter.

-- peer
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #18
Major Player

I have a lot of alt glass, including pre WWII. The problem is creating specific effects. Many/Most DPs seem to own a lensbaby kit. This is an inexpensive way to create all kinds of looks. Color really doesn't matter, as that's done in software (in camera or post).
The most expensive lensbaby was made for video/film, and allows the setting to be locked in. I don't know if that model is necessary for most people, but for video I suggest at least the $150 base unit. The least expensive unit seems to be designed to be held in place by hand.
Personally I'm not capable of creating a great many effects in post. As I improve I'm sure I will do more. But there's something kinda sad about doing it all on the computer. If I were paying union wages I might find shooting clean a lot more attractive.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #19
Major Player

I just got a chance to play with a lensbaby 2.0 (older model, I think it's what they call the 'muse' now) and it's a very cool lens, almost a must have for the price. You tilt and push/pull it to focus and adjust the effect - but it really is an 'effect' more than a look, too extreme if you're just trying to get a 'vintage' look.

Quote:
I just got my first alt glass lens and I'd say it's pretty easy to get a retro look with this lens. It's an Asahi SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 and it's awesome.
This is a great example though - I've got that lens, I'm actually using it more than any of my other lenses lately. I have yet to shoot anything with it though that I would consider 'vintage' - with a standard color profile and proper white balance you get very clean, sharp video with good contrast (microcontrast breaks down a bit at f/1.4) and nice shallow DOF. To me what makes that video look 'retro' is the combination of white balance (very warm look overall),handheld movement and lens flare which also flattens out the contrast significantly. The flare might be harder to duplicate with a modern lens with better coatings, but otherwise I'm not sure it's the lens that contributes primarily to the vintage look.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
I just got a chance to play with a lensbaby 2.0 (older model, I think it's what they call the 'muse' now) and it's a very cool lens, almost a must have for the price. You tilt and push/pull it to focus and adjust the effect - but it really is an 'effect' more than a look, too extreme if you're just trying to get a 'vintage' look.
I got their "Composer" model that you can lock the angle and hence how much of an effect you want. It's actually a quite nice little thingee.

-- peer
Old May 7th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
I just got my first alt glass lens and I'd say it's pretty easy to get a retro look with this lens. It's an Asahi SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 and it's awesome. $130 on eBay plus a $15 adapter. When I got it I went out in the front yard and shot this video footage with it. No color correction in post.

One Minute of Pure Joy

Check the description and posts on Vimeo for more info.
It has a nice vintage look certainly.. as evan said i think its mostly the yellowish colour cast giving it the look though.. did you set the colour up like that intentionally or was it some kind of unexpected cast coming from the ND filter??

Last edited by Manus Sweeney; May 7th, 2010 at 07:28 AM.
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I intentionally set the white balance warm by manually selecting a WB preset.
Mark Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #23
New Boot

check out these cheap russian lenses. Im sure you could get some artsy vintage looking shots with these. They make eos mounts for them. Im thinking about ordering the fisheye

Diana+ 20mm Fisheye Lens - Lomography Shop
Alex Hawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #24
Major Player

I love my lensbaby composer, I had a 2.0 before that and while the optics are similar the composer is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better in terms of user friendliness, consistency, etc.

I'm trying some Nikkor glass, I like it an they have a lot easier time manually focusing, the only problem is that the backfocus is a bit off and they will roll past infinity as a result. other than that I like the aperture ring because you can fine tune it instead of being stuck with 1/3 stop increments and the focus mechanism is really nice with my redrock follow focus, I like the optics of my Canon 85mm 1.8 a lot better but I like the operation of the Nikon equivalent a lot. There is also a little bit of play in the adapter but I am thinking of gluing it on or maybe some real small screws.

Nikons will be your best bet for vintage looks since they are available all day everyday, if you try one and don't like it you can probably sell it for the same price you paid, etc.

you can also try something like 1/8 black promists and 812 warming filters, that might get you where you're trying to go.
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD