Soundman OKM Microphones at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 19th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Soundman OKM Microphones

Hi There

I am a new 5D MK2 user. I got the camera to use in conjunction with my Sony EX3. I had been reading before I got the 5D about the various problems associated with shooting video, most notably the one of audio recording. I did a trial shoot yesterday using the 5D with my OKM in ear microphones that appeared to produce good results. The microphones look like in ear headphones so are very discreet and produce a very good stereo image.

The question I would like to ask has any one else used the OKM's and what was your opinion. I am not saying they are the perfect solution for sound recording for the 5D, but they are well worth looking at. I plan to shoot some footage later this week which i will post, so would be grateful for any feedback.

Soundman OKM In-Ear Microphones (Finland) — nnyman.com
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks,
I'll be very interested to hear the results
J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The OKM mics are for binaural recording. That's a system that reproduces a 3 dimensional sound stage but requires headphone listening to do that. I've unfortunately still not used any of the OKM's but have experimented with binaural using Sony ECM mics clipped to a headband and the results are very, very convincing.
Binaural dramas have been broadcast on BBC radio and now that so many people use iPods it may be the time to push for more use of the technique. It's still very hard to see any merit for video though as apart from having to wear 'cans' the audio isn't going to relate to the video pov very much.
I've done some aviation airshow videos and have run out both m/s stereo mics, which give a stereo image that can be adjusted for 'width' in post production and also 'double m/s' that has a rear component. The later gives 4 channel surround sound from 3 mics.
Binaural, by recording what is entering the ears, with all the elements of 'head spacing' and 'ear shape' being utilised and then reproducing back via the ear canal, manages to give height information as well from 2 mics. The results do differ somewhat for individual listeners though, the difficult area being the rear for some people.
My own personal favourite recording was of my son at about 2 years old playing in the garden when a Harrier jet screamed over. Amazing to hear....you automatically turn to hear the plane as it approaches because you are convinced that it's happening 'in real time'!
David
PostFade
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD