One camera interview - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I wouldn't set them up that way. When 1 person is talking say the one on the left the person on the right could be looking off into space or something worse so if it were me, I'd set them up in Oprah style. Put the interviewer on either the left or right and put the interviewees on the opposite side at about a 30 degree angle so when the interviewer asks one of the interviewees a question you can get facial expression of all of them and there's less chance of the boom swinging somewhere it shouldn't, like into frame. Actually this setup style has been around for years and years. Look at Leno, Letterman, any of the late night talk shows.
Just a thought.
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks Don. Great point. 30 degrees from straight on right? Any advice on whether to try to pan or zoom? I want to keep a decent DOF so everyone looks sharp.
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Harry,
the 30 degree thing is subjective it could be 20 or 45 use your eye when you set up look at the way the chairs are setup and how it looks in the VF adjust as needed before the talent gets there.
If it were me with just one camera I would keep all camera moves to a minimum. Pans zooms whatever, personally I wouldn't. I'd set a nice 3 shot, keep eveyone in the VF and go. NOw if I get a chance during a break I'll ask the talent one at a time if they would just sit and look like they're listening and get some closeup. Well not super tight but you get the picture. Cut those in occasionally and if you get all three of the people like that great. If you only get 1 well you've still got some go to footage.
BTW, whose idea was it to go with 1 camera? Just curious.
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #19
Major Player

I'd not do this kind of shoot with anything less than two cameras, potentially even three (unless it's something live and you can't switch).
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #20
Major Player

I only own one 5Dmk2 and this is for a non-profit (me being part of the non-profit if you catch my drift). Believe you me I wish I had a couple more cameras....
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #21
Trustee

I would rent a camera. I would borrow a camera. I would buy a $99 flip camera. I would sell my MkII (may God forgive me for saying this) and buy two HDV cameras.

What you are describing is a two (or three) camera shoot.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #22
Major Player

Harry,
I hate to be that guy, but it sounds like they may have hired a photographer to do a videographers job. I wish you luck here but it sounds like you're woefully underprepared. Is there someone in your area that you can get to help you? I know that if I need more cameras or tripods or lights, I have a pretty good network of people here to help and borrow stuff from. Sounds like in addition to another camera, you need 2 or 3 lapel mics and an audio mixer. Again, good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Bill
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #23
Inner Circle

It's do able with one camera, but only if the interview is set up purely as a TV piece and it's going to be cut together later. What you'll lose will be on camera spontaneity by the interviewer.

Setting up flavouring the interviewees, so you've got the option of an over shoulder with interviewer in foreground (although this shot can look a bit strained using the wide end, so it's just an option that I personally wouldn't use unless it's a "must have" demand), a two shot of the interviewees and two singles. Camera shot size changes can be done during the questions and it helps if the interviewer can name an interviewee when they're switching from one to the other. The shot changes will be cut out later.

Set up an over the shoulder 3 shot from the interviewer's side get them to ask questions or just talk to one interviewee than the other using the same mood as during the actual interview. Shoot other three shots as required, but don't go in for over kill. You can include over the shoulder from the interviewees side (with the interviewees talking) favouring the interviewer.

You then shoot the reversals favouring the interviewer - someone will have to note the questions that were asked - the interviewer asks the questions on camera to each of the interviewees ( or at least where they were sitting). "Noddies" or silent reactions are handy as well.

Pretty standard everyday single camera TV stuff.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #24
Major Player

Bill

not gonna argue with that. I've got a friend with a 7D who might can fill in. I was just seeing if it was possible to do a three person interview with one camera well.

Apparently some of you think it's possible. :-)

Thanks for all the input.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #25
Major Player

Oh anything's possible certainly. Certainly if they're not willing to pay, you may have to "make it work" and they'll have to understand. My experience is that people just can't tell the difference and so you'll be fine. As much as we argue over codecs and bitrates, etc. The average consumer of video is immune to quality, just look at local commercials.
Bill
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #26
Major Player

Welp lined up a second shooter so it will now be a two camera shoot!! plus he's gonna bring his Zoom H4 for backup for the boomed Rode SVM. It'll be what it is.
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:05 PM   #27
Major Player

Interview over and shot. 2 shooters both at 30 fps ISO 200. Boom mic and lav mic on interviewer (2nd shooter did this for his talent shot. I shot the 2 interviewed folks. My DOF was shallow at the close distance and 50mm focal so tried to keep the two people equal distance from the lens so that I didn't have to worry about focus once set. Did some zooming but minimal.

Haven't gotten the files from the CF card yet but look forward to editing.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:03 AM   #28
Regular Crew

record a seperate audio on a zoomh2 or 4.
use your mic into the camera
you will end up with a clear audio track to edit to.
aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD