I'm getting great audio. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 10th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I'm getting great audio.

Shot a marketing video by myself 2 weeks back on the 5D. Ran my mike on overhead boom [Schoeps Cm41 :-) ] into my Wendt X2 field mixer. The X2 is the most robust and useful bit of kit - ever.

Anyway - ran XLRs to a field recorder, thinking I'd sync in pluraleyes. The Wendt has a stereo minijack mic out socket - so I ran tome from the mixer to set the 5D's levels manually. Used a well shielded Belkin 3.5mm minijack cable - and the "guide track" was all I needed.

The Wendt preamps are rock solid - so the camera is getting a great signal in - it seems to work just fine. Ran all vocal tracks to -12db in the final mix. I'm pretty happy with this setup and shooting "one man out" with the 5D.... :-)

Clip here:

Last edited by John Colette; May 10th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
John Colette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

That clip is loading really slowly for me on my 8Mbps connection, and as a reult is stuttering a lot, FYI.
Mike Hannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Trustee

I gave up because of so much stuttering.

(But the audio sounded great!)
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
I gave up because of so much stuttering. (But the audio sounded great!)
To me it sounded a bit hissy (I always use headphones). Could have easily been masked with a noise-loop, or maybe even with a notch filter.

-- peer
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Trustee

I definitely noticed the hiss. If you can get a stronger signal coming from the recorder and turn down the 5D volume to a very low setting, you might be able to reduce that hiss. More mic signal and less 5D amplification seems to be the key for using in-camera audio with the 5D.

I also found the playback to be impossibly stuttered and I put the video on pause for a few minutes to try to let it pre-buffer. The mostly still images that played for me looked great so you did a fine job. I saw a bit of smooth camera movement here and there with the shots in the school, so my guess is your camera work was quite good. The audio hiss did not ruin the piece, but some tweaking would make it better.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Replaced the clip with a Vimeo upload.

Had the 5D audio very low in the chain .

I'm guessing the Wendt as preamplifier is around the juicedlink mark. Peer - you're right about the notch filter - I may re-look at the master to see if I can tick off that hiss.

Thanks for the feedback.

-j
John Colette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD