5D or 7D - overheat factor- - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Regular Crew

While the 5DMk2 doesn't have the heat issues more noticeable in the 7D, it does get very noisy in the blacks when the sensor heats up. That's why we switch cameras every 30-40 minutes to let the sensor cool down. Just another "gotcha" to be aware of.
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #17
Major Player

Re: 5D or 7D - overheat factor-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten Dalfors View Post
> I have 3 super Nikon lences like 14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm

Do these lenses have manual aperture ring? Not all nikon->canon adapter allows you to use modern nikon lenses with the possibility to control the aperture. If I remember right 'G' series lenses have an aperture ring but still don't work on some adaptors. I might be worng, but I would suggest to investigate this further.
id like to know this too
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #18
Trustee

Nikon G-series lenses don't have an aperture ring. All their other lenses do. Here's where I found all my information about Nikon lenses: Nikkor Lens Technology

Here's where I bought used Nikon lenses (when I was using Nikon....I use only Canon now): Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #19
Major Player

When we were shooting in open sun on a roughly 90 degree F day on tripods, the 7D's would start giving the overheat warning. My 5D never did. I suspect is may have something to do with the amount of metal in the camera chassis.

Anyhow, my solution was to dispatch a PA to a nearby convenience store to buy a roll of aluminum foil. Between takes, we covered the cameras with a sheet of foil (shiny side out), and the problem "went away" for the rest of the day. We even covered the 5D, even though it had no issues, just to be safe.

Martin
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #20
Major Player

Shooting a two hour show in a warm theatre caused the 7D to overheat and lock up twice. That meant the files that had been recorded got corrupted and couldn't be retrieved despite various prolonged efforts by myself and an IT expert. That made it very difficult to edit. We had two 5D2s running too, but it made for some uncomfortable edits not having the 7D footage for about 15 minute's worth of footage.

I've never had the 5D overheat in 2 1/2 years, but the 7D does it now and then. Reflectors wouldn't have helped in this case as we weren't battling the sunshine, but the theatre heating.
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #21
Major Player

i've used both the 5 and 7, unless you want to use the slow motion, there is no reason not to choose the 5d
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #22
Major Player

I suspect a low-tech solution for warm indoor shooting might be a small DC-powered fan (like the 12-volt fans used in computer cases) blowing across the cameras.

Just an idea.

You have to remember the DSLR's were designed with video as an afterthought. I'm surprised there aren't more gotchas than we're experiencing.

Martin
Old June 12th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I am currently using a Canon 5D mkII in Afghanistan. With the insane amount of heat and sunlight I have only had a problem with the camera overheating once. I was filming for extended periods of time and the camera was directly in the sunlight. I was able to get about 30-45 min in before it shut its self off. That same day my photographers camera ( a 5d mkII ) did the same thing, only her was shooting stills. Both cameras in direct sunlight for an extended period of time, other than that they have been solid. We have been using them for about for months now and havent had any other problems with them.

I hope this helps.... believe me... we put these cameras through hell everyday. They are tough and work great. Lenses can get a bit crunchy after a long day but the camera keeps on kick'n. 5D all the way..... leave the 7D for the women...
Charles Mabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #24
Major Player

Ooo-rah, jarhead.

("Doc" I-Corps, '66-'68)

I bought a 60D a few months ago and I liked it so much I bought 5D MKII a week ago. I'm shooting a documentary with it right now and was in the hot sun all day. Not a hiccup. What blows me away is how well the LCD works in sunlight... much better than the 60D.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Leaving the LCD screen on a tripod facing the sun can cause overheating - even here in the Pacific Northwest. A white cloth or handkerchief is a good thing to bring with you. This is especially important if you use a loupe. The sun can burn a hole in your LCD screen through a magnifying loupe. (You can use a loupe on ants too, if you're into that kind of thing...)

Remember, keeping the sensor cool will help it produce lower noise images. Cool temps are about more than just avoiding an over-temp shutdown.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD