About to purchase DSLR need advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 15th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Major Player

About to purchase DSLR need advice

I have been looking at both the 7D and 5D mkii and would like some advice before purchasing.

I mainly shoot wedding videos and currently own both a Z5u and an HMC150, I would like to add a DSLR to my kit to enhance my video highlights. With all the new firmwares out ect. which would be the best camera for the job?

Money is not really an an issue, but I would hate to pay more for a 5D and something newer come out in a few months better, however if the 5D is the best for the job I would gladly pay reguardless. Also what acessories would you purchase along with it if you had to do it again.

Thanks for the advice.
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Major Player

I went with the 7D mostly for the 60fps feature that allows for over-cranking and some great slow-mo. If that is not a concern for you and money is no object the 5D wins every time.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

In addition to Jerry's advice, you should consider this: it's easier to
get a wide field of view with the 5D Mk. II and it's easier to go more
telephoto on the 7D. Consider your focal length needs and choose
accordingly.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Major Player

So the 5D does not support the 60fps even with the new firmwares? That would be important to me.

What accessories would you definitely recommend, lenses etc.

Thanks for the quick response.
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Correct, no 60p on the 5D Mk. II -- for more info see:

Canon adds 24 and 25fps HD Movie recording to the EOS 5D Mark II with Firmware 2.0.3 at DVInfo.net

We have literally dozens of existing discussions already underway concerning
lenses and other accessories. Please help us to consolidate information on
this forum by researching what's already here and joining those threads that
already in progress. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Steve. Remember me? I bought your Canon XH-A1 a few years back. I have a 7d and live in Baton Rouge if you want a hands on experience with the camera.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Major Player

will do! Thanks Chris!
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Major Player

Although 7D has 60P, aliasing is even worse so it would be good only for close up type of shots, any wide shots shooting in 60P is not usuable for me.

You also need a loupe like Zacuto to help you focus, some kind of shoulder rig to help support the camera if you handheld using lens 50mm and up otherwise you will see a lot of micro jitter, unless your lens has IS then it will take away all of the micro jitter,the 70-200 IS F2.8 is good with the 5D, since you are doing wedding and if you don't want to use additional light, low light is important but F2.8 is not that good in low light, but since 5D has about half a stop better and cleaner with high ISO than the 7D, my recommendation is the 5D and the 70-200 IS F2.8, I have the 7D, but like Chris said, as far as framing goes, 7D is better in the telephoto end and 5D is better in the wide and so you need to think of what type of shots you are going to use most and buy what you need.
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Major Player

I would look at the T2i - half the price of the 7D with the same video quality, has 24/30/60fps and nicer 3:2 LCD. And, Magic Lantern will soon be available for T2i!

550D - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

These camera bodies are practically disposal anyway with the rate of technological change - get away as cheap as you can as you'll be upgrading soon.

Last edited by Sam Kanter; August 10th, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD