Why no 1DM4 users?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 17th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Why no 1DM4 users??

...or so few. Is it the price? As a stills photographer looking at video as well it was a great choice. I would have imagined more people getting into the 1DM4 and more support on this forum for it. I'm stuck between the 5D and 7D forums for help.

Anyone else got a 1DM4 and some video to share?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Contributor

In the Zacuto tests, the 5D and 7D video actually looked better than the 1D. Seems very few people are shooting video with that camera. I think there was one episode that LaForet shot to test it out, in very low light conditions, and you can just about shoot in the dark with it. I thought that stuff looked great, grainy but amazingly good. If I were a news guy or shot under extreme conditions, like a combat photographer, it would be my camera of choice.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I have a 1D MkIII and anxiously awaited the MkIV announcement, thinking it would have video. It did and I was on a waiting list to buy one. As I thought about it for me, I realized that this DSLR video thing was incredible, but still in its infancy. DSLRs for still photos continue to improve with each new model, but the improvements are now incremental, not revolutionary. I see so much room for improvement in the video implementation (focus, ergonomics, audio, etc) and I think it will happen very quickly in the next year or two. I decided not to invest $5,000 in a camera that I thought would be outdated even more quickly than most digital cameras.

I decided to enter the DSLR video world on the lower end and bought a 7D. This still gives me great video and allows me to play with it without dumping so much money on a camera that I think I will replace quite soon.

The guys at Still Motion do some of the best stuff on DSLRs I have seen and they love the 1DMkIV. I think the ergonomics of the MkIV is better than the smaller bodies and of course the build quality of the 1 series cameras are incredible. My impression is that most of the people here that are using the DSLRs are primarily shooting video, so they don't need or appreciate how incredible the MkIV is for still photography.

You have a great camera there, go have some fun.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Major Player

I've recently purchased the 1D mkIV... I already have the 5D mkII and a couple of 7Ds and even the T2i. It was definitely worth it to me to purchase the 1D for it's low light abilities and nothing more. Even though it offers a lot more than that! Especially in the wedding industry, I'm surprised more event filmmakers are not flocking to this camera considering it's still alot less than an EX1... I guess folks are content with the 7D and see it as the same thing. I'm CONSTANTLY hearing people say the T2i and the 7D are the same and can't justify paying more for the 7D... Don't get me wrong, I think the T2i is a great camera, but I think it all comes down to your skill level. The right tool for the right job. I'm hoping more folks will post about the 1D so CH will open up a 1D section for us 1D owners.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post
I've recently purchased the 1D mkIV... I already have the 5D mkII and a couple of 7Ds and even the T2i. It was definitely worth it to me to purchase the 1D for it's low light abilities and nothing more.
I would be interested in how you feel the 1DIV compares to the 5DII. I have been trying to justify the purchase of a 1DIV to myself but as I already have a 5DII I am finding that the extra cost is a bit of a barrier. Is the low light performance that much better. Maybe it's the still photography that can justify the 1DIV over the 5DII?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Major Player

i have a 5D mk II and 7D i also purchased a 1D Mk IV, but returned it. I loved that camera, and heard that it was amazing in low light, which I think it is. I think that if I had a good HDMI field monitor I would have kept it, because I think that is one of the most important differences between it and the 5D MkII, which has SD rather than HD output. I think it is a pretty nice camera ergonomically, but I also realized I didn't need the 5D and the 1D. The 5D, I think, has a very nice image in low light, perhaps not at ISO 6400, but at 3200 it's acceptable. When the time came for me to keep or return my 1D for a refund, I reluctantly returned it. I don't really miss it but now I'm using the 5D Mkii a lot more than my 7D, I think the images are just a bit better overall and I like the histogram that's available in live view, and I appreciate the manual audio level controls The 1D's ergonomics for video are actually not as good as the 7D or 5D, though totally usable.

My opinion: If you have a 5D, maybe you don't really need a 1D. If you need to super low light, maybe get a Nikon D3 for video, which I hear is much better than even the 1D. The 5D is lighter, has manual audio level, better video eronomics, and is 1/2 the price of the 1D.

I also returned it because I have a feeling that in a few months, there is going to be an avalanche of large sensor video that may blow away what we currently have.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: I also sensed a dirth of 1D MkII forum info out there. Seems like there are just a few posts from people who have them, and don't keep talking about it much or it's advantages over the 7D or 5D.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Major Player

For a sports photographer, the 1D is a great camera. Ten fps at 16MP with a usable 25K ISO are great still specs. I think that at half the price the 5D keeps people who are mainly using the video functions from making the plunge, like the people on this forum. Not to mention the 5D is a full frame camera. I think the video aspect caught Canon and other manufacturers a little by surprise and they didn't realize that many people would purchase the cameras more for the video features than still shooting.

As more video specific cameras are developed using this technology with better ergonomics these comparisons won't be as critical and cameras such as the 1D can be judged more on it's capabiiities as a still camera, instead of some kind of "hybrid". As a high speed great resolution camera it excells, as a video camera it doesn't warrant two times the price of a 5D.
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Major Player

Jason, I shoot with my 1DmkIV alongside my 5D,7D, 550D regularly. Primarily because of the HD output when recording video but also because its a great stills camera to boot.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #9
Wrangler

I'm currently on a job with Vincent L. in Italy, our third or fourth together. We have all three cameras (of course!) and in the past have generally used the 1DMKIV as the primary camera, but Vincent will always use the 5D for stills shooting and single camera work. The general feeling we have is that the 7D will start to show more noise at 640, the 5D at 1250 and the 1D can keep going to 2500 (we don't use the intermediate ISO's as those have proven to be "false" i.e. gain boosted). We only use the 7D because we are currently working with the new Zeiss lightweight zoom that doesn't have full coverage for the other bodies.

Outside of the jobs with Vincent, I own a 1DMKIV and have shot a number of major label music videos with it; the low-light capability won me the initial one with this director and we have kept going that route with great results. Sadly one of the videos was killed by the artist (this sort of thing does happen) and the other two have had a "complicated" post process but they are both about to be released, I will post when they are. I've also shot a sequence for a network pilot that successfuly cut against D21 footage, a promo for "Children's Hospital" (Adult Swim) and a few other things here or there. I'm extremely happy with the results. I do find the low-res output of the 5D to be a dealbreaker for me for many of my jobs, because I need to provide a decent image for the director and it's tough to ensure critical focus (and along those lines, I rarely shoot anything under a 2.8, and will stop down for longer lenses).

I never shoot with the camera in its bare form, so the extra weight is not a problem and I do like the rugged build quality very much. Certainly the button placement is quirky but you get used to it--the hard part is switching between the three bodies on a given shoot! I think the moire issue is better on the 5D, but the rolling shutter is improved on the 1D. There's give and take all along the line.

My feeling is that once we move to a new generation of cameras, I will either sell this one to a photographer or just keep it as a damn good still camera (taking pictures is something I've barely even done with the camera, which is sort of ridiculous)!
Old July 20th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Wrangler

Above-mentioned "Children's Hospital" promo just went up today. Not really remarkable visually (wasn't meant to be) but it's pretty funny, although definitely edgy--just like the show itself. 1DMKIV with Zeiss ZE's.

My Damn Channel Childrens Hospital Childrens Hospital: Dr. Owen Maestro - Pt. 1
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

LOL! That was really funny. I saw a couple of promos announcing this show. Just haven't seen it yet. Loved the piece.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:06 AM   #12
Wrangler

they are coming thick and fast--one of the two videos I shot for "The Pretty Reckless" just released:

YouTube - The Pretty Reckless - Miss Nothing(For UGC Only)
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #13
Major Player

I moved from the 5DM2 to the 1DM4 for a few reasons (dual cards, higher quality build and 60fps video) and I'm happy. The lack of manual audio levels added to the latest 5DM2 firmware is unfortunate, but I find myself using a Zoom or other external audio recorder more and more.

I'm very happy, although I miss the compactness of the 5DM2 when doing more personal stuff.
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:11 AM   #14
Major Player

Jason,
I use a 1D Mark IV. I am primarily a stills guy (wildlife photography). I never shot video before, as it would have become cumbersome to carry two systems for me.

I have been using the Mark IV since January this year. I was eagerly awaiting this camera to be announced, as I wanted the ability to film. I have faced many rare situations in the forests, and wanted to document those. The ability to use my lenses from wide angle to 800mm really comes in handy.

This is an incredible camera. Once an elephant charged me in very low light. ISO 12800. It was nice. You can't get such low light capability in other cameras. I have been increasingly filming with it. I primarily want to spread the conservation message with it. I am working on a theme hoping to be able to get a 20 min film ready by next year.

When I use a EF 24-70 f2.8 L lens with the Mark IV, it matches well and gives a better feel while handholding. You can't do that with the other video enabled cameras.

I shoot/film in rain as well. Can't think of exposing other canon cameras to such situations.

Most of the buzz is happening due to people flocking to the 7D, 550D, 5DII market and exclaiming online about the virtues of those cameras. Doesn't mean there are no serious uses of 1D IV.

The raw footage, when I use the tripod and keep it stable, is incredible. Can't share clips till I complete my film.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old August 1st, 2010, 03:25 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
.....Once an elephant charged me in very low light. ISO 12800. It was nice.....
A charging elephant was nice?! Hope you were in a fast vehicle at least!!

Look forward to seeing your clips/film when done.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD