Recommended Lenses for Canon 5D Mk2 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 8th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #76
Wrangler

Let's all play nice, kids.

As the consummate Hollywood professional and the heck of a nice guy that he is, I normally take Charles' observations about camera matters as authoritative. However, since FedEx should be delivering me my own 70-200L IS II USM tomorrow, I'll check out IS vs non-IS. I'll share my experience here and give you all the final word (as long as it agrees with what Charles said...)
;-)

Rodger, is there any way you can post a short clip of your video so we can see the specific problems that are troubling you?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
....However, since FedEx should be delivering me my own 70-200L IS II USM tomorrow, I'll check out IS vs non-IS. I'll share my experience here and give you all the final word (as long as it agrees with what Charles said...) ;-) ...
I would love to hear the results of this from a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
...Rodger, is there any way you can post a short clip of your video so we can see the specific problems that are troubling you?
OK, what I zoomed in and saw in the camera is NOT what I seen in Mac Previewer. The images are way better than the screen on the Canon camera revealed. The blur I thought I was looking at, simply was not there.

Secondly, I also need to learn more about the camera and lens scenario. B&H responded the specific lenes may have to be back focused and if that is the case they recommend I contact Canon and send both the camera(s) (5dm2 & 7d) to Canon and let them do it. Anyone know how to check this issue? A link perhaps?

Lastly, I could sell every picture that I did not delete in the camera while shooting (yeah I critique my work while shooting) and the pics reveal i need a lot of education on the 580EX2 flash and how to set the camera's light reading areas properly to get the right exposures. most of my pictures are center lighted and the edges around the subjects basically dark (underexposed) im sure this is based on the camera's "weighted" setting but therein i haven't studied this system by comparison to my former 100% nikon flashes and cameras thinking. i hope i get there quick. two weeks is my biggest shoot of 2010 and id prefer not to rent nikon gear when i have all this canon.

BTW, I love the 16-35mm f2.8 II USM for closes and wide and the 24-70mm f2.8 USM for all around plus on the 7d for now I have mounted the 24-105 f4.0 IS USM for my assistants shooting since she is a former Nikonianon (sp) also.

So some eduction and maybe I might turn this out after all. ALSO BTW, I had purchased a 50mm f1.4 USM for about 400 and when it arrived it rattled. The second time I used it, two parts fell out of the back and after reassembling it, the lens was no longer useful. I do hope that Canon products are much more reliable than that and that I only got a one in a million defective one? B&H of course gave me 100% refund including shipping, but if Canon primes are this weak like that one, will I even want one. Let alone if I have an expensive L glass zoom, why would I want a prime otherwise unless for the f1.8 ??
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #78
Wrangler

Quote:
Please tell me, where have I said "at 200mm"...?
Even at the 70mm side of the 70-200 you should be able to tell the difference between IS on and off in the viewfinder/LCD. If you can't see it, it may not be working.
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:29 AM   #79
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Smith View Post
I would love to hear the results of this from a pro.
That would be Charles and Dylan, not me. At this juncture, my videography and photography are merely expensive hobbies.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #80
Inner Circle

Very disappointing reply from Rodger about wanting to hear from a professional. This camera has actually been championed by the non professional shooter film maker. I found this same attitude from pro shooters at a recent meet up. These are the guys that have been shooting TV video for 30 years. They are the guys that are saying you can't take this camera off a tripod in the first place, or you can't record a bit of sound to the camera in a one man shoot situation. They are surprised when you pull out your camera and a Nikon lens is mounted on it, loaded with Magic Lantern, and say, something like, " How did you do that, (add a stammer and stutter) Well, I want to be able to have IS and have good sound." They have all these "can'ts" and "don'ts" that have been legislated by some or because they heard someone else say it about this particular camera, and as pros they have accepted a line, without actually going it and trying it themselves. Peter, with this camera, you are a pro....
Old September 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Does anyone else use Nikon/Zeiss primes with this camera?

When I bought my 5DM2 I didn't opt for the kit lens but chose instead to go with the 17-40mm f/4 L which I'm very happy with.

However my other prosumer camcorder rig is XH A1 with Letus Adapter and several Nikon & Zeiss primes. (Zeiss 35/2; Nikons 24/2.8; 50/1.2; 55/2.8 (micro); 85/1.4) I also have a Sigma Aspherical 14mm which I rarely use.

I find this selection to be enough for my 5DM2 shooting needs... By the way, the Nikon 50/1.2 works superbly with the 5DM2. Anyone recommend any others I might benefit from?

Kris
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #82
Inner Circle

I've used Nikon lenses on a 5D, and I am building a complete set to use on my 550D. Also building a full set of Pentax screw-mount lenses as well.

There is so much good glass out there to be had for those willing to venture into them. I find AF lenses terrible for video use on these cameras, The focus feels terrible and there is no aperture ring.
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I've used Nikon lenses on a 5D, and I am building a complete set to use on my 550D. Also building a full set of Pentax screw-mount lenses as well.

There is so much good glass out there to be had for those willing to venture into them. I find AF lenses terrible for video use on these cameras, The focus feels terrible and there is no aperture ring.
was looking at your profile of hardware and wondered where one can go to find out more detail on how to use and get the most out of the 5dm2 and 7d since this is all im going to use for video cameras. im selling off my xha1, xha1s, and hv40 so i need to know rather quickly how to make this baby work . . that is the system?
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Rodger,

Be careful about selling off your prosumer camcorder gear so quickly, especially if you do any broadcast work (DSLRs for the most part are not approved cameras). I do a lot of work on my 5D2 now, but I still use my Letus DOF adapter rig sometimes too.

The DSLRs have issues and limitations with them that may not suit your work. In particular, look into the 'rolling shutter' ('jello' effect) and aliasing/moire issues with them first. Certain shots, I still use my camcorder.

If you want to look into using the Canon 5D2/7D for filmmaking, I've written a somewhat comprehensive guide that you may or may not find useful here:

Optimising your 5D Mark II for filmmaking | kriskoster.com
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Koster View Post
Rodger, Be careful about selling off your prosumer camcorder gear so quickly, especially if you do any broadcast work (DSLRs for the most part are not approved cameras).....
Thanks for the heads up Kris. I am selling them as part of selling off my healthy video production business. I can't do it anymore. Too much work for an old man. I should have sold a year ago but I held out in hopes I wouldn't have to. However, what is, is.

About two years ago I purchased a D300 and D90 (backup) and used the D90's dMovie feature and found it to be OK. But the point is I got back into photography recognizing that I would be selling off my much physically harder video business and thus would become a photographer who sets up, points, shoots, and goes and sits down, instead of standing around all day and lugging audio and video gear with multiple rigs. However, when I seen this 5DM2 arrangement and looked at the images coming off the camera, I fell in love with both camera stills AND its video capabilities and thus I will sort of have the best of both worlds. I will have an astonishing still camera with great film movie capabilities which is where my heart now rests . . movie production, having produced two award winning movie shorts and at this time planning number three for shooting over the winter HOWEVER I was going to shoot the movie with the XHA1s but if I could get up to shoot speed quick enough (by November, December or January, then I would much prefer to use the 5DM2 and 7D with the lenses I have and maybe a couple primes (if the primes are any good, since the first 50mm f1.4 Canon I bought fell apart in my hands at the second use)

Thus, I will read your pamplet and anything else you can shoot at me, this is how I learn . . and . . if anyone is near Pittsburgh or Cleveland and interested in a days tutoring pay, I'll even buy their lunch along with the pay for the day.
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #86
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Smith View Post
(if the primes are any good, since the first 50mm f1.4 Canon I bought fell apart in my hands at the second use)
This is why I only buy metal and glass primes. No plastic, no rubber. Buy good glass and you'll never have to worry about this kind of thing.
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #87
Wrangler

Quote:
Yeah, I've got a couple of Nikkor primes... :)
24 f2.0
24 2.8
28 2.8
35 2.0
50 1.4
55 1.2
85 1.8
85 2.0
105 2.5
135 2.8
180 2.8
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #88
Inner Circle

Soooo much goodness there! :)

Is your glass mostly AI or AiS?

The sad thing is you could put together that full set, in excellent or excellent+ condition, for the price of 1 "L" zoom.
Old September 11th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #89
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
This is why I only buy metal and glass primes. No plastic, no rubber. Buy good glass and you'll never have to worry about this kind of thing.
i guess i thought the canon 50mm f1.4 was good glass. i couldn't find a canon 50mm L lens at b&h. maybe among the 100 or so i roused through there was one. will try again.
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #90
Major Player

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Yeah, I've got a couple of Nikkor primes... :)
24 f2.0
24 2.8
28 2.8
35 2.0
50 1.4
55 1.2
85 1.8
85 2.0
105 2.5
135 2.8
180 2.8
Okay then, I'll be even a bigger braggart -- I got the following primes: 8 Nikkor, 2 Zeiss, and one Iscorama -- that's a total of eleven primes, the same amount that Dylan Couper got. But since my Isco and Zeiss' are so much more unique (and pricy), I expect Mr. Couper will concede, being such a class act ;^)

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD