Sandisk 32GIG Extreme III at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sandisk 32GIG Extreme III

Hi,

Can any one tell me please if Sandisk 32GIG Extreme III work fine with 5D MII or not?

Cheers
Mitchell
Mitchell Yazdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Is there a maximum card size that 5D MarkII can read, like can it read 32 or 64gig?

Last edited by Mitchell Yazdani; July 28th, 2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #3
Major Player

It can read the Extreme III cards, but you're better off with the Extreme IV at 45MBs or the Extreme UDMA at 60MBs. I sometimes have slight (only very slight) stuttering problems with the Extreme III but not with the Extreme (60)
Also, I personally prefer the 16m GIG cards rather than the 32. If a card messes up, you only lose 16 Gigs worth of info, not 32. Still a disaster either way of course, but I feel the 16 is a nice balance between having too much info on just one card, and having to change your cards a lot, like you would if you only had 8Gig.
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
I feel the 16 is a nice balance between having too much info on just one card, and having to change your cards a lot, like you would if you only had 8Gig.
Yea, it's funny how this "safe size" is growing rapidly for me over time -- I started with 4GB as the largest safe cards to use, and then bumped it to 8GB, and now also I'm up to 16GB... which certainly would be a disaster if corrupted.

-- peer
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

I use all 64GB Delkins now in my NanoFlash and EXcam combo. Those I usually record at 100mb/s in the NanoFlash.

I have not had any problems in hundreds of hrs of recording.

In my 5DmkII and 7D I use my old 32GB cards from the NF as well as 16 and 8GB Extreme III Sandisks, and I have never had a problem with any of them. Knock on wood.

So I have never had a problem with Extreme III's even in the NanoFlash at 100mb/sec. In theory they are 30MB/sec or 240mb/sec and Convergent Design approves them in the NanoFlash up to 180mb/sec.

My 7D and 5D work fine with the 32GB Sandisk Extreme III.
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Contributor

I use Sandisk Extreme III 16 gigs and have a couple of 8 gig ones as well. No trouble at atl. The 30MB/s speed is so far over the camera's data rate that there's no problem. You need the faster cards if you shoot stills at 6 or 8 fps, like sports photographers do.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Major Player

I use both the extreme III's and ultra II's without problems - even the II's are rated at nearly 3x the 5D's video data rate so anything higher is really overkill for recording. Where the faster cards are really nice is in offloading footage - the read speed is especially important as the card sizes get larger, although that may or may not be worth the extra cost depending on your workflow.
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I was just reading the box, and Extreme III 16 or 32GIG are 60mb/sec, not 30, Ultra is 30mbs
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Contributor

Mine are 30. They have discontinued that one recently. I think Adorama still has some in stock.
All the cards are fast enough for video, it's the UDMA that you have to be careful to get.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Major Player

My IIIs are 30 also.
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #11
Trustee

I mainly use Transcend 32GB UDMA 400X cards and 16GB 133X Elite Pro cards in my 5D Mk2s, without any major hiccups so far.
Sometimes one of the 16GB very occasionally stutters when I'm working the camera hard, but the 32GB works very smoothly without problems.
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

The New Extreme III are 60MBs 32GB, 400X.
Mitchell Yazdani is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD