Still stuttering? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Still stuttering?

Is anybody (still) having such issues with the "stuttering"? Or did the latest and greatest firmware update(s) resolve this?

I've read a few posts, here and elsewhere, regarding the camera having an issue of "stuttering" (not judder) appearing while recording on the LCD screen as well as on the recorded footage.

I realize there are many factors that could contribute to this such as:
- a slow CF card
- aperture, ISO, shutter speed all changing in auto or priority modes
- transfering the footage to the computer and the computer may not be fast enough to play back the footage.

But if utilizing a fast CF card, shooting in manual mode and playing back in camera or connected (via HDMI) to a monitor...is it still occurring?
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

I have personally never seen stuttering on the built in LCD. If you see it there it is probably a problem with the card or the camera. The same is true for me at least monitoring or playing back on a HDMI monitor.

But I have seen it on many computer screens before transcoding to a non H.264 codec.

I always transcode the footage I will be editing. I have a 7D and a 5DmkII. Both work perfectly. Latest firmware on both, but even earlier firmware did not have those problems for me.

Others here may have different experiences.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I had it on panning shots in the early days. Saw it on the LCD as well as later in post. Ruined some shots for me. But don't seem to have had it recently.
Mind you I'm using SanDisk Extreme cards 60MBs now so maybe it's the cards that have fixed the problem. Or maybe it was firmware.

Never had it on my 7D though. (incidentally)

Last edited by Wayne Avanson; September 22nd, 2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the replies and comments!!

In the market for a DvSLR camera and looking at the various options out there....the positives, negatives, quirks, etc..., but the 5D MK2 is the only "full frame" camera out there with HD video capabilities ... that I know of.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
I had it on panning shots in the early days. Saw it on the LCD as well as later in post. Ruined some shots for me.
I had some stuttering too about a year ago but eventually realised that it was caused by using the 24-105mm kit lens & leaving IS switched on when sliding it on a Glidetrack.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD