Tested out a new DSLR viewfinder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 7th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #16
Major Player

The LCD is positioned by our design well within the focal length of the optics, therefore no chance of what you're describing. A diopter type setup with other viewfinders (which may actually focus precisely at the LCD) is a different story.

There is zero risk of sun damage to the LCD using Cyclops.

John, glad you found us :-)

Peer, we didn't show the angled option in the vids as we're not completely finished with it. The soft parts will form a set, one for the front of Cyclops (allows up to 45 degree tilt) and a removeable portion that would go against the face. It functions similar to an old removable SLR viewfinder eye cup. On the external monitor, understood. Cinevate displayed a 10.2" native HD monitor at NAB 09, and 2010. Prototype 3 was used on our Canon XF305 shoot just published. I'm a huge fan of external monitors, particularly now that we have transflective native HD resolution panels to play with..we've got a few surprises coming in that department :-) Cyclops however, is for the guys/gals looking for a powerless, lighter option.

Cheers,
Dennis.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #17
Regular Crew

"The LCD is positioned by our design well within the focal length of the optics, therefore no chance of what you're describing."
How you can have a sharp image if its not focused to the LCD?
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #18
Major Player

Ivan, it's essential physics. In terms of mathematical modelling, you'd model a convex lens (with a given focal length) but have the subject within the focal length of the optic. So you get magification, but focus is not an issue. A simple example would be to take an inexpensive magnifying class and hold it over the object to be maginified. You'll find that within a certain distance range the subject remains sharp. Once you exceed the focal lenth of the optic, your subject would be no longer in focus.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #19
Trustee

Looks like Small HD has come up with the best solution. It's not a viewfinder, but I think it's the best way to go for critical focus on the 5DM2. Plus it doubles as a confidence monitor for other people on set to view. You can get a sunshade for only $49 for use outdoors. (sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch)

Effective Pixels 101|SmallHD

I just found out about this and the new Zacuto Z-Finder EVF.
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Looks like Small HD has come up with the best solution.
Also I was decided on the Small HD, but couldn't wait for it to ship so I went with the v5600 instead which isn't nearly as snazzy as the Small HD but works quite well, even in sunlight (with a hood). As I alluded to earlier, I think loupe devices are too limited to be useful (I got a Z-finder) so I'm really looking forward to Zacuto's EVF.

-- peer
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #21
Trustee

Part of why I want one is that it needs no battery. Batteries always want to die at the worst time... the fewer the better I say.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Cyclops still seems a likely best bet for 5D focus

In my estimation, Cyclops seems the best focus enhancement going for the 5dmkII, and the only real loupe solution for dslrs with articulating screens. Reasoning: the 5d (and T2i, and 60D I think) drops resolution during recording making monitors less effective for focus--even the Small HD's literature claims only a "decent"/fighting chance at hitting all focus marks, in light of those cameras' output limitations. For the record, got to hand it to them for giving users that fighting chance with special software to accomodate the output weirdness--but still not likely to match the color reproduction of the rear LCD, nor the sharpness of the LCD + Cinevate macro optic.

As for those flip screen cameras, only the Cyclops has an articulating support option that won't stress the LCD hinge on cameras like the 60D or GH1/2.

That's not to say it doesn't look kind of Grey Submarinish--however, ergonomically, having that distance from the camera would have saved my neck last week for slider and tripod work...

I totally see the beauty of EVF and monitors--but for these cameras that are handicapped on output resolution, cyclops looks like a great option, short of lugging out a 24" pixel mapped monitor like the hp dreamcolor around so you can see sharp out of a 480 signal...

Just my best compilation of the literature thus far, and personal experience.

Last edited by Joe Bailey Jr.; October 19th, 2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Typo
Joe Bailey Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:53 AM   #23
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
As I alluded to in my previous post -- I bet anyone who has done extensive vDSLR work will shy away from this clunky loupe setup -- this because it completely limits your shooting to only eye/shoulder height filming. Hence, I believe an external monitor or the new Zacuto EVF is the way to go: Z-Finder EVF | Zacuto

-- peer
Interesting! Does this aspect ratio make better use of the 5DII's limited resolution live view HDMI output during recording?

Thanks,
-Johannes
Johannes Gruenig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD