Back up 5D footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
Yes, and that would work great if 200 GB/tape is sufficient. For 2TB backed up in triplicate, that takes 30 tapes, compared to just three $99 hard drives. Personally, I have 6 TB backed up in triplicate, and I don't consider that to be a lot.
Used tapes can be found for less than $10 delivered but I can see that I am not going to convince you of the merits of tape:-) One of the biggest arguments in favour of tapes is their long shelf life & one of the biggest arguments against is speed compared to disks. Tapes are also nicer for backing up on a per project basis as 200GB would amount to about 10 hours of video from a Canon DSLR which is far more than we would have for a typical project but I would be reluctant to use just one hard disk per project as it would be more expensive & bulky.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
Well, I wont comment on the reliability aspect, but I will say something about the cost. Every time I've looked into tape backup, it came out much more expensive.

HP LTO4 800 GB backup drive and SAS card: $2,400
20 tapes (16 TB): $600
=====
$3,000

That's $188/TB, over three times as much as 2TB hard drives:
External e-sata hard drive docking station: $30
Eight 2TB drives ($100/each at the time of this writing): $800
====
$830

The less tapes you use, the more lopsided the comparison:

HP LTO4 800 GB backup drive and SAS card: $2,400
7 tapes (5.6 TB): $175
=====
$2,575

That's $460/TB, while the 6TB of hard drives is only $55/TB, so in that scenario it's 8 times cheaper. The tape drive would have to be $155 in order to match the cost of hard drives for 6 TB of backup (2 TB in triplicate). But even the cheapest ones are ten times that amount.

If all you ever need is 16TB then tape is not for you. I have much more than 16TB and it's growing rapidly. HDDs are simply not cost effective once you get in to large amounts of footage.

Also, recalculate for more than one backup, maybe three. So 16TBx3 = 48TB. Now imagine 64TBx3 = 192TB. Hard Disks = $10,560

The Tape solution (using your numbers) = $2,400 + $7,200 = $9,600.

Now imagine 150TB or 300TB backup up x3.

If you don't shoot much, or don't need to retain footage for more than the length of the project then tape is probably not for you. If you need to archive footage for future reference then tape is a viable and possible cheaper solution than hard disks.

Imagine broadcasters than need to store petabytes of footage. Do you imagine they have lots of hard disks sat on a shelf? ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD