35L or 50L? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 29th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1
New Boot

35L or 50L?

Hey,

I'm pretty certain I'm going to purchase either the Canon 35L or 50L lens to fit onto my 5dmk2.

I've made loads of music videos etc but am enjoying taking stills more and more and feel it's time to get the highest quality.

I was considering the 85L, and played with it recently - the focus is brilliant - but I like things a bit wider so have settled on the 35L or the 50L.

I like the 35L for it's 3d pop and it fits the more reportage fashion feel I like to my stills and video - I'd imagine some of my favourite photographers using it - guys like Nan Goldin, Juergen Teller etc.

That being said whilst I want my video/photography to maintain that reportage feel, I also want it to appear cinematic so micro-contrast and so forth is important to me, an image, moving or still, that feels alive is useful eh!

However I also appreciate the 35L might be a bit too wide, and therefore distorted, for closer up shots, whereas although the 50L isn't that wide, it certainly has the ability to get in close and not distort. I also read the 35L has a different focus ring to the 50L and 85L, so I'm concerned it might not be as smooth to focus.

I've eliminated the Zeiss lenses simply b/c I want auto-focus for stills. My eyes aren't great and I want the camera to do the work where I can!

So basically I was wondering what people would suggest. I'd be using the lens for video, but also for stills. For stills we're talking fashion/people in the styles I mentioned above. Cheers for suggestions!

A
Andrew Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Personally, on the 5D2 I would use the 35mm more often because I prefer that angle of view, so that's the one I'd get. Every photographer is different. Do you want to take environmental portraits or full body portraits? Group photos or just two people? Capture the whole room or focus on one part? I think the 50mm is more general-purpose and more popular among photographers in general.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Contributor

There's no one lens that will do everything. I have a 24, 35, 50, 50 macro, 105 and 70-200 and use them all for video shooting.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #4
New Boot

True, although my budget at the moment only stretches to one for now so it's a case of making the best judgment at the moment if I may.
Andrew Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Major Player

They are both amazing lenses. I would get the 50 before the 35... That's just me, coming from someone who has just about every L series prime out there.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Nicholas View Post
True, although my budget at the moment only stretches to one for now so it's a case of making the best judgment at the moment if I may.
I tend to shoot video a little wider than stills. Definitely the 50mm if the majority will be stills; probably 35mm if it is mostly video. But take this as my opinion - everyone has their style and taste.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Major Player

Still photography is what got me started. I love video and have been trying to find the lens that 'fits both purposes' and it just doesn't exist. Each situation requires a different lens. As far as wedding photography is concerned, my friends in the business have said many good things about the 85L, more than the 35L or 50L. However, the 50L comes in second. This comes from professional wedding photographers.

I'm more interested in the 16-35 2.8f though...that's my next purchase. Look into it.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Trustee

if priority is stills I'd get 50 first, if you do more of video I'd get 35, bit only with 70-200 2,8 IS :)
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Nicholas View Post
I'm pretty certain I'm going to purchase either the Canon 35L or 50L lens to fit onto my 5dmk2. [...] So basically I was wondering what people would suggest. I'd be using the lens for video, but also for stills.
This all depends on what other lenses you have. If you only gonna own one lens, I'd say the 50mm. But for video work only, between the two, I'd prefer the 35mm. The two lenses I've used the most for video work are two zoom f/2.8 L lenses: 17-35mm and 70-200mm. However, although I haven't used it much, my favorite lens (for both video and stills) is a vintage 1.4/85 Zeiss prime -- it has a very distinct bouquet. Here's a silly test/exercise shoot I did with it a couple of months ago:

-- peer
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks for the advice, I by chance managed to have a play of both lenses recently as well as the Sigma 50 1.4, albeit on a crop sensor (for the Sigma).

I think the 35L was great but I did notice the distortions when I got close to things which I'm a bit sad about. As much as I want a wider lens I think ultimately the 35L would limit me by inhibiting my ability to get too close. I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad but I certainly noticed it, alas.

Therefore although I prefer the 35L for general usage and as a video fan am a fan of wides, I feel unfortunately the 35L would restrict me with people shooting so I have to go with the 50L.

I also checked out the Sigma and on about 6 shots I took, half of them were out of focus despite me doing everything right. So either it was an old lens or the AF problem is still there and if I'm going to be shooting people I can't be battling the focus too grr
Andrew Nicholas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD