Still getting duplicated frames on 5D mk II - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 30th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #31
Tourist

Re: Still getting duplicated frames on 5D mk II

Any update on the functioning status of your 5d mk II, Julian?

I bought my camera a few weeks ago and have been having similar issues. 2-3 copied frames within a video clip and the first new frame immediately after has a change in brightness. I am running the camera in full manual mode with Marvels Cine Picture Style 3.4 as the only "non standard" setting.

Hoping you can give me some good news - or perhaps a guideline of how to handle it. :)
Henrik B. Clausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #32
Major Player

If I shoot video in low light/high ISO (typically above 1600 ISO), I still get duplicated frames, but at ISO settings below 1600, I have yet to reproduce the problem.

I can still consistently reproduce the problem at 3200 ISO, which is a shame, as many of the events where I shoot, have poor lighting, and bringing my own is not possible.

I would suggest, that if you are having this problem at ISO values of 1600 and below, then you should definitely contact Canon technical support. They pointed me to a line in the manual that said something about the video pausing momentarily if any settings change, or when shooting at high ISO and there's movement, but none of these were applicable in my case (and I can't find that section in the manual anymore).

Good luck. I can't wait for the 5D mk III, if and when it comes out.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #33
Tourist

I'm sorry to hear it was never resolved.

I have not been able to predictably reproduce the problem even when shooting 3200 ISO and panning the camera quickly from bright light to shadows - it just seems to happen sometimes. I've labelled my two CF cards A and B in order to keep track of the origin of the footage for each shoot - hoping it's one of the cards.

For now I'll just use the camera pretending nothing is wrong, and when I do catch it happening again - A picture may start to emerge pointing towards either a type of setting or CF card used.

I'm just baffled that this hasn't screamed through all the DSLR forums like wildfire, if this is a common problem - as Canon seems to suggest in their answer to you.
Henrik B. Clausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:18 AM   #34
Major Player

Henrik,

Yes, the problem is easily reproduced at 3200 ISO... I was able to reliably reproduce the problem at 3200 ISO while sitting at the Canon service center... but Canon says that is a known problem and is documented in the manual. Canon says 5D mk II video should NOT suffer duplicate frames at ISO settings of 1600 and BELOW, and that nnow appears to be true for me. I doubt it has anything to do with your CF cards. Canon ruled out any CF card issues in my case.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD