5D MKII live mode/AF shooting stills at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Inner Circle

5D MKII live mode/AF shooting stills

Is there any way in live mode that I can shoot stills with the Canon remote? Using Canon EF L glass.

We have to keep the camera out of reach but want to run a set duration of stills with the background changing slightly. We need sharp focus.

Forgot one point. The reason for live mode is to be checking the progress on a HDMI monitor?

Or do I have to forgo the monitor and not use live mode and count on the camera getting it right?
Old December 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

Have you had a look at DSLR Camera remote? You can control the 5D from an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. It may work for your application.

DSLR Camera Remote - onOne Software

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Canon remote utility

Hi Paul - if your camera is withing reach of a usb cable ( there is a length limit but repeaters can be used to get pretty long) you can use the canon utility software and control and see the camera view with a laptop.
Canon also has a wifi camera base, I think it is around 600-700 dollars but it will allow you to use the canon utility program wirelessly.
DSLR remote will work but you need to have a laptop or netbook attached to the camera as a base station, then you can control from the iphone
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #4
New Boot

I don't have a link at the moment, but there is a $150 app/bluetooth dongle in the works that will allow control of the DSLR without a computer from iPad/iPhone. I'm excited.
Stuart Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hooper View Post
I don't have a link at the moment, but there is a $150 app/bluetooth dongle in the works that will allow control of the DSLR without a computer from iPad/iPhone. I'm excited.
Here is some info about that product.

The website for the actual hardware part does not work at the moment. It seems the release date for the hardware is late December (for Nikon version) and possible later for Canon.

I like where this seems to be heading even if it seems a little vaporish at the moment.

BlueSLR turns your iPhone, iPad into camera remote
Old December 11th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for that info Olof. It looks very interesting.

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks for all the great input, I will check out the links. The camera is only about 3 feet away but can not be accessed. The lap top idea sounds interesting so does the iphone or Ipad. We need to have it run for 7 hrs in very cold weather.
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Trustee

I use the wired Phottix Hector Remote View Unit for the 5D Mark II :

Phottix Hector Live View Remote ? Photo Accessories The Phottix Journal

For longer range you can use the wireless Hero unit:

PHOTTIX® HERO LiveView Wireless Remote - Wireless Remotes

I also use a couple of other untits for firing stills, and one diferent small remote control for when I require wireless control of the video stop & start functions on the 5D.
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Tony,

I did not know about the Phottix Hector Remote View Unit. Looks like it would solve half of the problem but I still need to use the timer on the Canon remote so I take shots at set times.

We have also decided that we will go to manual focus and set to infinity since the subject is at least 500 feet away.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD