Broken Canon 16-35 lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #16
Trustee

I thought the camera body was undamaged? $300 is a hefty bill if nothing was wrong with it. Which repairs have they said needed to be done to the body?
The $160 lens bill seems OK though and well worth getting it repaired.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I could not see anything wrong with the camera body but thought it made sense to send it back for a checkup. The camera lens mount was knocked out of square which is not a surprise.

Agree the lens fix after broken in two for $160 is a great price.

I was told this is still full warranty after the repair since I used Canon.
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #18
Trustee

Yes, Canon's own repair prices are sometimes quite steep compared to a private professional camera repairer that I use; but if it is true that the actual body bayonet mount was knocked out of alignment, then it was worth having it fixed to avoid any metering or connection problems further down the line.
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Agree Tony I would not want to have a shot lost from a poor repair. Also Canon has a 7 day turnaround and others were 2-3 weeks.

Wow some huge CARP on your site.
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #20
Trustee

Yes, I've fished for them since boyhood and never lost the excitement for adventure since then! :)
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Tony it looks like a blast. I could see how you can not loose the passion.
Old January 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #22
Major Player

That's very, very reasonable. I paid over $700 for the repair of my lens by Canon in France. They gave me a replacement during the repair period, however.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Agree Luc the repair is less then I expected. They will have it back to me before the next gig. Missed a few nice shots with ice and blizzard but oh well.
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Camera and lens arrived back today which is 5 days sooner then I expected. All is working like nothing happen. It came back overnight morning delivery as I sent it.

Very impressed with the speed of the service, time frame, professionalism, and doing what they said they would when they said they would. That is rare and very much appreciated by this customer.
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #25
Trustee

Great news, Paul!

Now be more careful in future and watch for falling rocks and banana skins... :)
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Will do good advice since I love bananas.

Thinking of getting a nice little wrist strap that could have solved the whole issue.
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Yes, Canon have a fantastic service repair, no matter where you are in the world. Here in Spain, I had my LCD repair returned back to me within the same week and I wasn't even a member of CPS at the time.

By the way, being a member does have its advantages besides fast repair. In the documentation I've been told I can 'test drive' new models about to come out. They'll deliver the camera to me and I can borrow it free of charge for 6 days. Saving mine for the mark III when it comes out!! (You can do this twice every year too)

And to answer Luc, the reason why CPS don't accept registration for some equipment is usually one of two reasons. (1) It's pre-registered to someone else already if it's a 2nd-hand lens/body or, (2) It's a 'grey' import.

I can't register my XH A1 with CPS because I sourced it new from Hong Kong (even though it was from a reputable dealer). All my other equipment has been sourced from Europe/USA.

I wonder what went wrong with your body to cost $300. Did they tell you what they did to it?
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Thanks for the nice post Kris,

I tried to register for CPS but they said I did not own enough gear. I plan on a buying a 300mm prime and the new 2x extender maybe that will get me there.

The paperwork on my 5d MKII said.
"Your product has been examined and it was found that the product performed according to specifications, the unit did not function properly. Adjusted exposure & focus w/lens, cleaned C-mos and checked all factory specs. Update firmware." That is word for word and spelling they used. I trust them to give me a camera body that will do the job.

I had sent the camera overnight morning delivery and they did the same back to me. Very nice.
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:26 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Koster View Post

And to answer Luc, the reason why CPS don't accept registration for some equipment is usually one of two reasons. (1) It's pre-registered to someone else already if it's a 2nd-hand lens/body or, (2) It's a 'grey' import.

I can't register my XH A1 with CPS because I sourced it new from Hong Kong (even though it was from a reputable dealer). All my other equipment has been sourced from Europe/USA.

I wonder what went wrong with your body to cost $300. Did they tell you what they did to it?
Hi Kris,

the problem was, if I remember correctly, that I couldn't enter this type of lens in the field where you're supposed to list your equipment.
The $300 repair was for the 70-200 lens, not the camera. They just had to refix the internal lens block, as it had come loose after it had been dropped. Seemed very expensive to me, but of course still half of what a new lens would have cost.

Paul: happy end after all! I like that.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:14 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Yes Luc a happy ending.

Not sure if you noticed on the other thread I sold the Nano.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD