Sensor issues - Highlight errors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 30th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Sensor issues - Highlight errors

I've run into this problem a couple of times when shooting. The first was when shooting a snowcat - the white lights showed up purple. I have no idea what causes it, but it seems to happen only when shooting directly into industrial lighting. Attached is a screenshot (not from video - this is a straight photo I took last weekend where the same error showed up).

In the photo I'm shooting with the 24-105 at an F4 - 1/30 - gain of 2500 (I think - going from memory here). As you can see several of the lights are purple instead of white. Even the reflection in the water is purple.

In the second photo, this is an absolutely new problem, and a bit of a disconcerting one because I've never seen it before. I was videoing the sunset from a boat, and this bizzarre spot showed up in the center of the sun. I was using the 24-105 and was using a vari-ND.

The reason I post these two pictures together is I'm wondering if they're related in anyway. Anyone ever experience anything like this or know what it might be? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Sensor issues - Highlight errors-purple.jpg   Sensor issues - Highlight errors-sunspot.jpg  

Bradford Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Major Player

I had this effect last year. Not in every flash of the lights, but in most of them
Attached Thumbnails
Sensor issues - Highlight errors-screen-shot-2011-01-30-18.31.28.png  
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Trustee

If I remember well, Canon released firmwares that fixes this kind of problem in the past. I could be wrong.
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I believe that the very first firmware update for the 5D2 dealt with the "black dots on highlights" issue. It should be a thing of the past.

Regarding purple and green fringes, that's usually a lens issue and could also be caused by the vari-ND.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Indeed it should Jon, and I got that update. However, this was shot about a year ago and clearly it isn't fixed. Funnily enough, I thought it was fixed, because some theatre work I did after the update was dot free.
But how could it come back?
Vey odd.
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Major Player

I shot a major label music video last October with Firmware 2.0.7 with lights in the frame pointing at the lens for intentional lens flares at the request of the director, and I had black dots. We simply ignored it on the day and removed them in post. But we shouldn't have had to do this. Canon should fix this problem once and for all. If the sensor is hit with bright light that clips, it should simply go white. Period.
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Do I remember rightly. Didn't the RED have a little red dot in the middle of highlights for a while? Did they fix that?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD