Remote control movie mode on Canon EOS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 15th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Remote control movie mode on Canon EOS

Is there a way to remotely activate the movie mode on any of the Canon EOS cameras. By remote I mean with a RC signal from a 100+ yards. Is that something that Magic Lantern might alllow?
Thanks
Kent
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Remote control movie mode on Canon EOS

I just bought the Canon RC-1 remote for about $35 on amazon.com. It will start and stop video rec on the 5D but only at about 16 ft Max. I can't imagine that there is a remote that works at 100 yards or more. If there is I haven't seen it.

Last edited by Danny Winn; March 16th, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Trustee

If you're woking INSIDE and have power available, there's a cheap solution called the X-10 Powermid Transmitter.

You plug the transmitter in where you are and plug the matching receiver in next to your IR controlled gadget.

The system takes the IR signal, makes it RF - sends the RF up to 150 feet - then the receiver translates it back into IR and triggers the device.

We used to use this about 10 years ago when I did videos of a service club meeting and I could use a handycam remote to control all the camera functions from two rooms away.

FWIW.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Various wireless IR extenders are available (just check Ebay), but you can also run a fiber-optic cable similar to a TOSLink cable, but I'm not sure how long you can get those.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for all of the replies. My situation is outdoor at distances in access of 100 yards. I do not have electrical power available.
Kent
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Trustee

Kent,
NO infa-red spectrum optical remote control will work at that distance outside.
You're going to have to translate the IR to RF (radio frequency) and then back again - in order to cover that distance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD