Problem with shutter speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem with shutter speed

I just bought Canon 5D and I have this weird problem. Please help me, I need to shoot some interview tomorrow :)
I'm from Europe, so I want to have a shutter speed at 1/25. I'm in manual mode, I set shutter speed 1/25, but when I press live view, the shutter speed changes to 1/30 and I cant choose shutter slower than 1/30, so I cant go to 1/25! Why?
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Problem with shutter speed

Why would you absolutely want a shutter speed of 1/25? As long as you don't use a shutter speed that is too short (shorter than 1/100th), you'll get perfect results. Below 1/100th fast movements may show some stuttering, but there are hardly any fast movements in an interview, are there? I often use 1/50 and that works perfectly. Unless of course there another reason for wanting 1/25th, that I don't know of.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Major Player

I can't imagine a time ever that I would want a shutter at 1/25 during an interview, I think your gonna get a lot of blurring at that setting if theres any motion at all.

Why do you want that speed?
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi peter , Unfortunately shutter spped below 1/30 in video mode is just not possible in MKii.
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm curious if his thinking is with regard to frame rates, like 24p, 25p, 30p? I've read that for video, the shutter speed should be double the frame rate. So for 25p, you would use 1/50th, and 30p 1/60th. Since there isn't a 1/48th, you would use 1/50th also for 24p.

I'm thinking he has his information mixed up and he's thinking he needs to use a shutter speed equal to his frame rate for video. If that isn't the case, I'm sorry if I am miss reading into the original question.

jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD