Issue Copying file from CF card to computer (error-36) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 8th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Issue Copying file from CF card to computer (error-36)

Hey guys,
I'm getting a strange issue that I'm hoping someone could advise me on what to try. I use a canon 5d mark ii. I have multiple files on my CF card including a few 4GB files. When I transfer them to my computer (they all transfer fine) only ONE 4GB file gets an error code: "the finder can't complete operation because data can't be read or written. (error code-36)" It plays fine when I play the file but it doesn't want to transfer.

I tried: Copying/Moving files, Different harddrive, I tried PC (i use a mac), I tried renaming file. None seem to work.

Please if anyone has any ideas to save this file, please help. Its a ceremony wedding clip from one of our cameras (about 12min of footage), very important!!!

Thanks in advance!
David
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Issue Copying file from CF card to computer (error-36)

There are several other threads about this very issue. The files are being corrupted when recorded to the card. I bet they are Sandisk cards aren't they?

If you search for the threads on this topic, you will find a company that can save the clips for you. You pay a per clip fee.

I don't have the link here, but you can find it in the threads.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Major Player

David,

Usually the company that makes the card has a recover utility which you can use to recover the files in many cases. I have recovered many a "lost" file in this manner.

HTH
Harry
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Daniel I have the Kingston Elite Pro 32GB cards... but I'm sure it could be the same issue. Do you think that I should replace the card all together or is it something that could happen to any card at any moment? Daniel I looked around and had no luck finding a thread with a similar issue. (had a lot of error-36 issues but mainly w/ harddrive formatting issues)

Harry thanks for the tip, I will look into that and hopefully find something. If anyone else has any ideas or thoughts or comments feel free to join in!

Thanks
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Major Player

I have the Kingston cards as well, but have switched to the Transcend cards. I had several Kingston cards fail when recording video.

Most of the problems that I have heard of with corrupted files has been on Sandisk cards on Canon 7D's. Canon just released a firmware update for the 7D that fixes the issue, but I have not heard of one for the 5D.

Here is the link to the company that was able to save my friends footage:

Fix corrupt video files. Recover footage from damaged disks and cards

Good luck,

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD